DCI Tour Premier Detroit, MI - June 20, 2019

3 hours ago, CrownBariDad said:

I rarely critique the Corps' performances as those guys/gals are doing stuff I could only dream about. I enjoyed all the Corps. It's gonna be a great season!

I share your sentiments! Congrats to all corps. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Brass Lover said:

The CONSTANT narration really kills the enjoyment of the show for me, it's very juvenile.

I wasn't going to be quite that harsh... But, if the adjudication still functioned on negativity... I was adding a 'tick' every time the Hamilton line showed up after the first 5 iterations.

It's as if the assumption remains that the arts community is SO 'gaga' over Hamilton, that there can't be too many references.  It became a mallet over my head and took me out of the GE value.  It was a very 'Cadets' thing to do.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

Phantom Regiment: It's not easy to play the first note of the season.  Phantom gave me chills several times during this performance.  Great show.  Feels like a return to a style that suits them.  Brass sounds good.  Colorguard is very dynamic and athletic.  Love the fire effect with the flags at the end!  Say what you want... I think Phantom is staying in Finals if they keep up the good work this season.  They came out ready.

These guys need a major break... everyone calm down. It’s the tour premiere. I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen and heard because... it’s the tour premiere. Not knocking other opinions I’ve seen, but come on it’s a youth activity and these men and women are performing for us! Enjoy it. August is coming. EDIT: was not coming for you Ediker, just don’t like seeing corps getting #### on. You guys know these members read these forums, hardly a motivation. 

Edited by johnpendell
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, johnpendell said:

These guys need a major break... everyone calm down. It’s the tour premiere. I’ve enjoyed what I’ve seen and heard because... it’s the tour premiere. Not knocking other opinions I’ve seen, but come on it’s a youth activity and these men and women are performing for us! Enjoy it. August is coming. EDIT: was not coming for you Ediker, just don’t like seeing corps getting #### on. You guys know these members read these forums, hardly a motivation. 

First surprise of the night came when Phantom took the field, I REALLY LOVED THEIR SHOW !!!!  then Blue Stars...... their way ahead of where they were this time last year, another good show !! Cadets brought some great moments also, Boston....WOW !!!!! cant wait to see how they shape this show thru the season. Carolina and Blue Coats, im sorry to say that I was not awake enough to really enjoy their shows, but I really liked the start of Bloo's show.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Poppycock said:

It’s early and there will be changes made by all, but Bluecoats were so much more entertaining. Like Stephan said it was the Motor City Battle For The Bronze. Cali is Gold and Silver. BTW thanks for your kind words. 

Bluecoats are killing it! They are the only corps from last night that I'm excited to see again. Kudos to them for thinking outside of the box and not rehashing old tired ideas.

• Like 2

The theater venue: First, turn off the dadgum house lights. Second, turn up the dadgum sound. It's drum corps, not Steel Magnolias. 

For me the night was all about Crown. I would have thought this was their 10th or 12th show of the season. They grab you from the first note and don't let go. 

Not to discount the Bluecoats. They also impressed tremendously and brought their usual entertainment factor in full force. A little heavy on the props, though. 

BAC & Cadets - was actually a little underwhelmed given the pre-season hypes. To my own disappointment, I just don't think at this point BAC has the championship show many thought was coming. 

Phantom & Blue Stars - I liked I am Joan and was entertained by it. Blue Stars once again, though very good, kind of overdid it on the whole theme thing.  

One thing that stuck out to me - drills and field position seem to have formed to the new judging positions. Everything seemed more concentrated and compacted. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The theater venue: First, turn off the dadgum house lights. Second, turn up the dadgum sound. It's drum corps, not Steel Magnolias. 

you've got to go ask a manager to turn up the sound - they're just running on auto settings that are used for everything - 

8 hours ago, Ediker said:

They repeated that one line way too many times. 

8 hours ago, Lance said:

this i believe

The heart. the heart. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Great first outing for BAC..and congrats to them on top guard AND top visual.  The audience in the stadium seemed to love it.  Closer to the top than ever, I think.  Crown's hornline sounded great, and I think both they and BAC have much more actual drill than Bluecoats (each a bit more than 190 sets, I believe).  I know that the number of drill sets is irrevelant to some folks, but it just seems like BLOO has made the artistic choice to have less in this regard.  Not right or wrong.  Cadets were better than I expected (great drums) and Blue Stars show is once again very imaginative.  Their unis are thematically appropriate but I'd hate to be in Texas with them in July.  Phantom Regiment is clearly going through something these days, but I'm not going to pile on because I have no doubt those kids are working their butts off.  Best wishes to them.

The top three are clearly close, with Boston being closer to both than last year.  Great work guys!

• Like 6