Is Patreon the Future?

Yesterday, the Cavaliers used their new Patreon to show an exclusive look at their new uniforms. For those that don't know, Patreon is a fundraising platform that allows those who run them to set certain fundraising monthly tiers of support (1 dollar a month, 5 dollars a month, etc). Each tier can then get access to certain information or rewards. This service has blown up over the last few years, particularly through Youtube users as another way to acquire income.

I personally think this could be a really interesting way to raise money for corps going forward, and also allows the public to support whichever corps they like to whatever degree they like. This also brings the possibility getting awesome rewards like exclusive merch, preview videos, updates from the corps, etc. What do you think? Should more corps think about setting up a Patreon? What should some monthly rewards be going forward?

• Like 2

I definitely think corps can use this. Each corps needs to figure out their own way of doing it but it can definitely be a helpful way to raise some more money. Fans also get a little something extra out of donating as well so I like the idea of it.

• Like 1

Being an avid Twitch user and seeing how content creators monetize their streams, Patreon is absolutely a tool that all Non-profits should use to monetize their activity.

I hope that Corps get to the point that they offer their Patreon's a live stream of all of their own shows throughout the season. So that ardent followers and fans can support their corps and watch every single run throughout the season.

Hoping there is no established rules against it with Flomarching and it is a big FU to their awful service.

• Like 2

Just now, Ediker said:

There is a demand for corps info.  Smart corps are finding ways to monetize this.  Didn't Cadets recently tie show reveals to donation milestones?

Yes! And it work like a charm! The sooner corps realize this the better. Fans want to support them, but also want information. Best of both worlds to me

• Like 2

Are copyright issues different with this kind of platform?

eventually too many asking at the same time can have unintended consequences.

4 hours ago, garfield said:

I think most drum corps' future lies in learning how be self-sufficient with non-correlated incomes streams so that begging for dollars is cast to the ash heap of history.

Many organizations are working towards just what you say, though many have a both/and approach. Find a way to generate income, but do so in a way that includes donors but is not reliant solely upon donors.

• Like 1