Clovis, CA - Friday, June 21, 2019

Anyone notice the absence of complaints about narration tonight?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

Others out there will be able to say something intelligent about the music at the BD and SCV levels. It all sounds great to me.

Anyone who likes to complain about park and bark will have plenty of opportunities with SCV and BD. It didn’t bother me. Mandarins do a bunch of drill.

Interesting observation. Mandies were accused a little bit of the park and bark last year, and also of having a week brass, but they've tried to bolster both of those this year, and continue the string of awesome show themes. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, johnpendell said:

check your messages

Yep, please

2 minutes ago, johnpendell said:

check your messages

Please?

Great night.  Off to Bay Area tomorrow.  

My surprise of the night was the musicality of the Troopers.  

Great night all around!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Reminds me in feel and spirit of great products like Cadets '83 Rocky Point, Star '90 Belshazzar, and some SCV shows from late 90s.  Just the feel of the moods, journey, even some rhythms. Obviously I'm hoping that other people like this show too.

Agreed! It’s such a step in a new direction for them, and I’m here for it. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

There can only be one.  Battle to the death.  

One of them should be forced to use helicon instead.

• Like 2

Great shows by everyone. Favorite show goes to cavies for sure. So much energy!! Just really entertaining and that brass is coming for blood.

BD really impressed me, I'm usually not a fan but this felt fresh and fun, and flowed super well. Kept my attention the entire time. But they are a bit edgy sounding and had a few noticable tears. They always "write for August" so i expect that they will clean up a ton.

Vanguard honestly disappointed me a little. They were quite clean though. Maybe I had too high expectations, but I was honestly left thinking, "what just happened" and not in a good way. Can't put a finger in what I didn't really like, but alas. I think it'll warm up to me.Percussion (my caption) is OUTSTANDING as always though and their book is incredible. Just thought it was a bit haphazard.

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mjoakes said:

Always though Cavies sounded slightly muted these last few years compared to top 3. But they held their own with BD and Vanguard. Loud. 

Didnt seem the show grabbed people in the way other shows did. I missed seeing the guard more. They kind of blend in too much. But I like this show better than last years. (And I liked it last year.)

They also played the middle half of  the show unamped thanks to a faulty generator. That horn sound was all natural . 

• Like 3