Clovis, CA - Friday, June 21, 2019

28 minutes ago, IBTwist said:

Great shows by everyone. Favorite show goes to cavies for sure. So much energy!! Just really entertaining and that brass is coming for blood.

BD really impressed me, I'm usually not a fan but this felt fresh and fun, and flowed super well. Kept my attention the entire time. But they are a bit edgy sounding and had a few noticable tears. They always "write for August" so i expect that they will clean up a ton.

Vanguard honestly disappointed me a little. They were quite clean though. Maybe I had too high expectations, but I was honestly left thinking, "what just happened" and not in a good way. Can't put a finger in what I didn't really like, but alas. I think it'll warm up to me.Percussion (my caption) is OUTSTANDING as always though and their book is incredible. Just thought it was a bit haphazard.

posted from the DrumScorps app

First time seeing vanguard this year. While obvious the talent level is amazing I didn’t care for the music or show design as much as I did Babylon. Maybe it’ll grow on me, but I just didn’t feel it.

• Like 5

46 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

They also played the middle half of  the show unamped thanks to a faulty generator. That horn sound was all natural . 

Generator?  Didn't the stadium supply an electric hook up for the pit?

Edited by 27Socal

19 minutes ago, GREENBLUE said:

28 minutes ago, IBTwist said:

Great shows by everyone. Favorite show goes to cavies for sure. So much energy!! Just really entertaining and that brass is coming for blood.

BD really impressed me, I'm usually not a fan but this felt fresh and fun, and flowed super well. Kept my attention the entire time. But they are a bit edgy sounding and had a few noticable tears. They always "write for August" so i expect that they will clean up a ton.

Vanguard honestly disappointed me a little. They were quite clean though. Maybe I had too high expectations, but I was honestly left thinking, "what just happened" and not in a good way. Can't put a finger in what I didn't really like, but alas. I think it'll warm up to me.Percussion (my caption) is OUTSTANDING as always though and their book is incredible. Just thought it was a bit haphazard.

4 minutes ago, PopcornEater1963 said:

Don’t know. But they ran on a generator tonight and somehow it malfunctioned in trumpet solo in second movement. It sounded like it came back on during the trombone solo in the 4th. 

They sounded awesome anyway!  I don't know about that one dm though!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Terri Schehr said:

Saw the top four.  Mandarins are moving up. 

Agreed. I also felt SCV may be impossible to catch. Wow. If anyone can do it - it will be BD

i would put Mandarins 7th just based on video and the first couple shows. We may have another Boston on our hands. JMO 

Edited by George Dixon
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, fanman said:

s it somewhat fair to compare across the first two shows? If so, the line up of ordinals is somewhat scary for Phantom....

1) SCV

2) BD

3) Blooo

4) Crown

5) Cavaliers

6) BC

7) Mandarins & Cadets (tie)

9) Blue Stars

10) Academy

11) Phantom Regiment (below The Academy by over a point??)

12) Troopers