Clovis, CA - Friday, June 21, 2019

2 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

Nothing against BD or SCV or you 🙂  it is super early and you’re talking about one show and one judging  panels opinion .  

Re- visit in mid July 😎

Well, you're going to love me then - Vanguard repeats. This time last year I said Vanguard had the show to beat (in the 2018 Stanford thread). I'm saying it again.

Edited by queenanne_1536

Waking up late on the East Coast to check the scores and analyze them a bit.  Interesting to note that all three of the bottom corps (Mandarins, Academy, and Troopers) closed their spreads with the top 2 compared to the Clovis show last year.  Mandarins did it the most.  But, the other two weren't insignificant.

I don't know if this was a judging quirk or an actual sign that all three came into the show better than last year.

• Like 1

Having seen both SCV and BD on that website, I must say that I personally prefer BD at this point. I was much more engaged in their show, with a lot more memorable moments to counteract the obvious brass issues (particularly intonation).

While I think SCV is technically more proficient at this time, the show design left me feeling flat, outside of the Metallica ballad that felt more Bluecoats than SCV. Also, the props remind me WAY too much of BD's Rite of Spring show from 2013. I hope the show grows on me, but right now, I don't see them repeating. I think BD, Bluecoats and Crown all have a better chance of winning it all in August.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Having seen both SCV and BD on that website, I must say that I personally prefer BD at this point. I was much more engaged in their show, with a lot more memorable moments to counteract the obvious brass issues (particularly intonation).

While I think SCV is technically more proficient at this time, the show design left me feeling flat, outside of the Metallica ballad that felt more Bluecoats than SCV. Also, the props remind me WAY too much of BD's Rite of Spring show from 2013. I hope the show grows on me, but right now, I don't see them repeating. I think BD, Bluecoats and Crown all have a better chance of winning it all in August.

Their props did remind me of 2013 BD, too. I just think SCV is the new BD in a total domination sense. My God, they are so good and may have flipped the script on BD. Love them both. Would not be surprised if they are 1-2 at finals. In fact, I think they will be. 

1 hour ago, Ellaparka said:

Crown in 2nd I think.  I am really impressed with them.  Looks like Bluecoats took over the cheese caption this year.  ewwwwww

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

Waking up late on the East Coast to check the scores and analyze them a bit.  Interesting to note that all three of the bottom corps (Mandarins, Academy, and Troopers) closed their spreads with the top 2 compared to the Clovis show last year.  Mandarins did it the most.  But, the other two weren't insignificant.

I don't know if this was a judging quirk or an actual sign that all three came into the show better than last year.

Almost every Corps comes in better than last year.  The key is to be more better than your competition.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Well, you're going to love me then - Vanguard repeats. This time last year I said Vanguard had the show to beat (in the 2018 Stanford thread). I'm saying it again.

Oh it’ll be fun to see  how things shake out  for sure I have absolutely no horse in this race....yet.  

Just know this of course it is incredibly hard to repeat 😊

Edited by Triple Forte
  • Like 1

SCV is definitely sticking to a formula, ballad is very similar to last year.  And it worked for them,  no one who has won since probably Cavaliers in 06 did that well against BD.    Definitely not saying that in a bad way, just feels like they established a style.   It seems a lot more dense than last year, a ton going on.   

But dear God they sound so aggressive and sound like they’re playing so many more notes than last year, the articulations this early are incredible.   Percussion will be up there too.   Didn’t notice a ton of the guard stuff (not my forte) but they’ll be solid.  All captions are really strong again.  Show itself might not be for me but they are GOOD again.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, flammaster said:

Crown in 2nd I think.  I am really impressed with them.  Looks like Bluecoats took over the cheese caption this year.  ewwwwww

I do not get what all the hoopla about the Bluecoats is. The visual design on their show is just not nearly good enough. More isn't better. Their visual product looks so cluttered and messy. They won't touch SCV.

• Like 3
  • Confused 3