Stanford, CA - Saturday, June 22, 2019

5 hours ago, DrumManTx said:

64899424_936293160095935_246103905829440

Mandarins got blessed by lot Gumby during their show.

I wanna see him and bones get into a parking lot brawl.  

If this happened could you imagine the memes

5 hours ago, Photographer Jim said:

I believe it might happen. My next question is where will Blue Knights fit into the mix?

More complications to the season... considering what I’ve seen, I’d put Knights apprehensively behind Stars but optimistically ahead of Mandarins. But I wouldn’t know since I haven’t seen BK’s show. Would also have Stars ahead of Cadets as well though, and I say that with a heavy heart. People like to, or just happen to forget about the Blue Stars, but they’ve become my sweetheart corps. So underrated, but for some reason never seem to reach the audiences or judges I suppose. 

5 hours ago, NeutralNovice said:

Whew just got back from the show.

They were being extremely strict about bags and other things being brought into the stadium this year--it's the first time I've seen them so strict at Stanford since DCI West first ran.  Would have been nice to have a bigger, bolder warning about it on tickets and other event materials.  So many people turned away at the security checkpoint.

Lone Star Percussion needs to change their commercial.  It's annoying and is a holdover from last season IIRC.

During intermission, music was being blasted over the speakers--making it hard to socialize with the people around me as my hearing is not what it used to be.

Favorite show of the night: Mandarins - #### their show is good all around.  I love the repertoire.  Here's to hoping they make their second consecutive finals run!

Disappointment of the night: SCV - while I could tell they were just so ###### good, the show design and theme just didn't reach me, at least this time around.  Music is the most important aspect of any show for me and the repertoire was just ok.  Also, Im guessing they are missing their closer again.  Annoying when it's the only show one sees live.  SCV is and always will be my fav corps.

I think this was the first time I've ever seen Cavies live and this show was a treat!

BD was pretty dang good!  I was entertained more by it than I expected and there were some really neat visual stuff they did with the modular walls.

Finally, what's with the absence of BK?  Would have loved to see their show this year.

If you listen to Fraternity there is an ending with the potential emotional clout of Metropolis... have a listen to the last 5 minutes or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, wilme861 said:

Nah I don't buy it. Even last year, that new ending didn't all of a sudden propel them into the lead. I can only think of Phantom in 08 and Crown in 15 in the last 15-20 years as shows whose new endings propelled them up. Both were just that cherry on top that was needed to make it special but it's just so rare that it happens.

Plus, you can always make the argument that SCV has another minute of stuff the judges aren't finding faults in as well that negatively affect the score. BD still has so much to flesh out so to me, SCV should be worried BD is that close with so much left to do in that show.

While a fair point, most of what SCV is lacking in at the moment is content, which will definitely go up when they add the closer. That alone will push their score higher, cleanliness or not. This is a similar situation to last year given that right now SCV is on top without a complete show on the field. I'm not saying it will last as last year proved to do, but as they added things last year, they did pull away from the competition. That could very well happen again.

6 hours ago, Narrow said:

SCV didn't do much for me. I think BD with time can absolutely beat them out.

There is a mixed bag of feelings about what they’re doing. Lots of fluttering to park and bark. Movement while not playing and playing while not moving. Musically not attractive. I don’t know if that style is going to play out for them. Devils, Bluecoats and Crown are more entertaining IMO. Congratulations Vanguard. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, DASCFan said:

SCV is performing at an unreal level and their show is just cleaner right now. There are moments in BD’s show where the guard doesn’t have work yet. BD will get there.

Someone is actually watching and not all Gaga fan boy SCV. Bravo!  Vanguard is winning because they are cleaner and why wouldn’t they be with a less demanding production. 

Devils hanging close with a very unfinished and let me say not executed very well considering the design demands. That will change. There is no caption to be concerned about. Give this production a few weeks to mature. It’s a diamond in the ruff right now.

Cavaliers are very dirty visually and expect them to clean up nicely. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Poppycock said:

Lots of fluttering to park and bark. Movement while not playing and playing while not moving. Musically not attractive. I don’t know if that style is going to play out for them. Devils, Bluecoats and Crown are more entertaining IMO. Congratulations Vanguard. 

THIS. I would agree 1000% with this statement. And it seems to be a trend. Phantom is doing the same thing. Movement without purpose is just a distraction. We say it in teaching all the time right? One of the things that I think BD and Bluecoats seem to have really caught on to (and SCV did it last year pretty brilliantly,) is the concept of that if you're going to use a ton of vertical staging, you have to move and play through it well. Otherwise, it's just a prop and those died out long ago. 

• Like 1