It's the day before the season starts-what is your favorite 2nd place show?

23 minutes ago, Incognito365 said:

I've always thought that Spartacus was overrated. The crowd is what won Phantom the championship that night. Take away the crowds enthusiasm and energy and you have a 4th place show.

I did not get to finals in 2008, so I can only judge based on DVD. I do think Phantom had a better show than Blue Devils, but some shows do better on video than others. Now if you look at past threads, going back to a time I was a visitor and did not comment, it is about 2007 or so that you started having the roots of Blue Devils detractors, in some cases vicious detractors, and at the time some argued that there were those who were happy not so much that Phantom won, but that Blue Devils placed second.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tim K said:

I did not get to finals in 2008, so I can only judge based on DVD. I do think Phantom had a better show than Blue Devils, but some shows do better on video than others. Now if you look at past threads, going back to a time I was a visitor and did not comment, it is about 2007 or so that you started having the roots of Blue Devils detractors, in some cases vicious detractors, and at the time some argued that there were those who were happy not so much that Phantom won, but that Blue Devils placed second.

Don't get me wrong, I think any time the Blue Devils place second it's a cause for celebration. 

1. Blue Devils were knocked down.

2. A corps was strong enough to beat them.

I have never been to finals, and I've only saw the video of Phantom and the Blue Devils from that year. ALTHOUGH, I have spoken to people who were there and said that the energy from the crowd fed the corps, and I've seen cases of this on multiple occasions not just in drum corps, but in marching band in general. If you're getting no feedback from the audience, you're gonna put on a lackluster performance. If the audience is eating you up, then you're gonna put on a hell of a performance.

That being said, I stand by my post that the crowd won Phantom the championship. I'm not trying to take anything away from Phantom, but that's the way I see it.

2 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Don't get me wrong, I think any time the Blue Devils place second it's a cause for celebration. 

1. Blue Devils were knocked down.

2. A corps was strong enough to beat them.

I have never been to finals, and I've only saw the video of Phantom and the Blue Devils from that year. ALTHOUGH, I have spoken to people who were there and said that the energy from the crowd fed the corps, and I've seen cases of this on multiple occasions not just in drum corps, but in marching band in general. If you're getting no feedback from the audience, you're gonna put on a lackluster performance. If the audience is eating you up, then you're gonna put on a hell of a performance.

That being said, I stand by my post that the crowd won Phantom the championship. I'm not trying to take anything away from Phantom, but that's the way I see it.

Isn’t that what the General Effect caption is all about? Connecting with the audience?

1 minute ago, Sutasaurus said:

Isn’t that what the General Effect caption is all about? Connecting with the audience?

I thought the audience wasn't supposed to be factored in? I mean, fan favorite isn't a caption...

Bluecoats 2014! Long live "TILT!" That show is energy, that show is fun, that show is hype, that show is adrenaline, that show is entertaining, that show is perfect! :thumbup:

Blue Stars 1972...because they should have won! :thumbup::thumbup:

Edited by corps8294

This is getting hard.  

• 1989 Phantom Regiment is the first drum corps show I ever watched, albeit on video.  We did a New World Symphony show my freshman year of high school and our director told us to go watch that.  We weren't so hot, but that show has always had a special place in my heart every since.  
  • 1993 Star of Indiana for all the reasons I'm sure have been mentioned.  The way they place with musical space and tension makes my jaw drop every time I watch that show.  It's just unrelentingly interesting to me.  
  • 1998 Santa Clara Vanguard is the first in a very long stretch of shows from them I love.  Percussion in this one is especially incredible.  Love all the atypical picks for a Copland show.  
  • 2002 Blue Devils is the first of theirs I ever watched, always though the music was a blast.  
  • 2011 Blue Devils I listen to a ton, just a great music program. 

But if I had to pick one it would have to be Tilt, that show just felt so incredibly fresh and exciting.  Here's a show, and everything is tilted.  Boom.  That also kicked off their trend of picking something for a ballad, and just letting it be what it is.  Hymn and every ballad since then takes a break from the very energetic and crazy stuff that is in the opening minutes of the show and lets the audience take a breath.  Nothing over arranged or with unnecessary flourish, just a piece of music being what it is in the idiom of drum corps.  Doug Thrower does it year after year after year.  And of course the pitch bend, which for me was the first usage of electronics in drum corps that made my jaw drop.  Seeing that the first time destroyed my world.  

• Like 3