It's the day before the season starts-what is your favorite 2nd place show?

10 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

This is getting hard.  

• 1989 Phantom Regiment is the first drum corps show I ever watched, albeit on video.  We did a New World Symphony show my freshman year of high school and our director told us to go watch that.  We weren't so hot, but that show has always had a special place in my heart every since.  
  • 1993 Star of Indiana for all the reasons I'm sure have been mentioned.  The way they place with musical space and tension makes my jaw drop every time I watch that show.  It's just unrelentingly interesting to me.  
  • 1998 Santa Clara Vanguard is the first in a very long stretch of shows from them I love.  Percussion in this one is especially incredible.  Love all the atypical picks for a Copland show.  
  • 2002 Blue Devils is the first of theirs I ever watched, always though the music was a blast.  
  • 2011 Blue Devils I listen to a ton, just a great music program. 

But if I had to pick one it would have to be Tilt, that show just felt so incredibly fresh and exciting.  Here's a show, and everything is tilted.  Boom.  That also kicked off their trend of picking something for a ballad, and just letting it be what it is.  Hymn and every ballad since then takes a break from the very energetic and crazy stuff that is in the opening minutes of the show and lets the audience take a breath.  Nothing over arranged or with unnecessary flourish, just a piece of music being what it is in the idiom of drum corps.  Doug Thrower does it year after year after year.  And of course the pitch bend, which for me was the first usage of electronics in drum corps that made my jaw drop.  Seeing that the first time destroyed my world.  

Loved "Tilt"...was cheering for them to pull out the win. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Incognito365 said:

I thought the audience wasn't supposed to be factored in? I mean, fan favorite isn't a caption...

Isn’t audience reaction factored into the General Effect caption? Or is the activity solely geared to the judging panel? Then what’s the point? Whose butts are in the seats?

Edited by Sutasaurus

I’m here to clear up the whole “should have won” situation. Yes, in 1989, SCV was unbelievable. But I was a high school student, and they received demerits from me for performing Phantom of the Opera two years in a row. Don’t give me the “but it was superior”, “but it wasn’t the same exact music...” they played Phantom of the Opera two years in a row! (I love SCV, if you didn’t know, but this was highway robbery).

i thought both shows were wonderful.

But NOTHING delivered like Phantom Regiment did in 1989. It’s the best 2nd place show of all time, because it should have won. They lost by .4. They should have won by that amount.

I'm not bitter or anything.

honorable mention: 2014 Blooooooooooooooooooo: Tilt

Loved it!

and 2006 Phantom Regiment: Faust

1978 PR, 1980 27th, and 1985-88 SCV.

1. From the New World ... into a New Age

2. Juxtaperformance

3. Inferno

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajlemm said:

But NOTHING delivered like Phantom Regiment did in 1989.

I believe the judges would have to disgree. Lol. For what it's worth, I much prefer '88 over '89.