Touring model endgame (5 years out, 2024)

Housing keeps becoming a bigger issue, see Cavies in California right now for example.  Hypothetical:  Fast forward 5 years. Current trends continue. The sleeping in a gym model dries up, if not completely than enough to impact multiple competitions.

Despite best efforts, days before a contest with at least a half dozen world class corps, multiple corps either do not have housing despite best efforts, and/or previously secured housing is lost.

Show promoters (perhaps DCI itself) has already spent lots of $. Tickets sold. Cost of hotels for multiple World Class corps and staff would be budget busters, if enough rooms could even be secured on such short notice. The kids have to eat/sleep/practice somewhere, but all options have been exhausted.

In this not-so-farfetched scenario, what is the endgame? Cancellation of the event? If enough events are impacted, cancellation of the tour? What? Is there a "perfect storm" scenario in DCI guidelines for cases where housing just cannot be acquired? Where does responsibility fall on DCI vs the event promoter?

Just thinking out loud about what tour may be like in a few years if schools, camps, and other adequate housing options cannot be found.

Edited by wolfgang
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wolfgang said:

Housing keeps becoming a bigger issue, see Cavies in California right now for example.  Hypothetical:  Fast forward 5 years. Current trends continue. The sleeping in a gym model dries up, if not completely than enough to impact multiple competitions.

Despite best efforts, days before a contest with at least a half dozen world class corps, multiple corps either do not have housing despite best efforts, and/or previously secured housing is lost.

Show promoters (perhaps DCI itself) has already spent lots of $. Tickets sold. Cost of hotels for multiple World Class corps and staff would be budget busters, if enough rooms could even be secured on such short notice. The kids have to eat/sleep/practice somewhere, but all options have been exhausted.

In this not-so-farfetched scenario, what is the endgame? Cancellation of the event? If enough events are impacted, cancellation of the tour? What? Is there a "perfect storm" scenario in DCI guidelines for cases where housing just cannot be acquired? Where does responsibility fall on DCI vs the event promoter?

Just thinking out loud about what tour may be like in a few years if schools, camps, and other adequate housing options cannot be found.

The housing problem seems real, but perhaps there's a different solution than canceling shows or reducing the tour. It's an interesting question to ask, however. In addition, 2024 will likely be a much different world for the technology and quality of streaming services.

Housing options are definitely a problem, but there are solutions that the drum corps community may have to adopt:

1) Stop expecting to get a venue all to yourself with 2-3 football fields for rehearsal

2) Be prepared to travel to a rehearsal venue (district football stadium, or a larger HS stadium near an elementary/middle school) for visual blocks shared with other corps - this could be organized by performance order or random draw

3) Be prepared to fairly share a large campus and all rehearsal facilities with another corps (this may already happen - it used to happen a lot with so many corps on tour when I started marching in the 80's)

As for your endgame question: I honestly don't know.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TerriTroop said:

3) Be prepared to fairly share a large campus and all rehearsal facilities with another corps (this may already happen - it used to happen a lot with so many corps on tour when I started marching in the 80's)

I remember the Crossmen (my corps) sharing a campus with the Madison Scouts in North Carolina.  Several Crossmen girls started dating Madison Scouts.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, barigirl78 said:

I remember the Crossmen (my corps) sharing a campus with the Madison Scouts in North Carolina.  Several Crossmen girls started dating Madison Scouts.

My first year marching in corps I was in a tiny little corps (Nighthawks) and we shared with Suncoast Sound once, and Spirit, I think.

4 hours ago, wolfgang said:

I could certainly be mistaken...but as a Cavs parent flying out to meet them tomorrow, I don't know that they are having any issues. I was told a week ago they would be in Sacramento tonight, and they are heading out to Sacramento tonight from Nevada. They'll be there on Thursday, and then at the show in Clovis on Friday. I'm being sincere when I ask if you know something I don't know?