Today starts the season! What is your favorite championship show?

1 hour ago, ThePlanets said:

The season begins today and until August current performances will have our attention...but for now...

What are your favorite championship winning shows?

1986 Blue Devils 

• Like 1

1. 1985 Cadets

2. 1983 Cadets

3. 1989 SCV

4. 1984 Cadets

5. 2018 SCV

6. 1979 BD

• Like 1

1984 Garfield Cadets: this was a masterpiece in it’s day and stands up to this day.

1989 SCV: 88 was probably a cleaner version, but 89 for me had more impact.

1991 Star of Indiana: amazing drill, all of what Zingali started with 27th, then continued with Cadets, came together with this show.

2013 Crown and 2016 Bluecoats: I was there, and nothing beats seeing a first time champion crowned, no pun intended for the folks from Fort Mill, SC.

• Like 7

1976 Blue Devils- Chuck Mangione paired with Jim Ott. Good combo. 

1988 Madison Scouts- I believe this is the show that introduced me to drum corps. My band director (6th grade) had two kids march Madison. Lots of fun. 

1991 Star of Indiana- Everything is amazing. I can't say anything more.

1996 Phantom Regiment- Quite possibly the best beginning to a show, ever. Love the Contras, and as a guy who likes Shostakovich, this show is money.

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard- The Canyon and Blue Shades. Both executed amazingly. 

2002 Cavaliers- Michael Gaines. Nuff said. 1 2 and 4 1 and. 

2003 Blue Devils- Brubeck show, typical BD from that time, but something just sort of appeals to me.

**2008 Phantom Regiment- The show that got me into drum corps. Underrated guard, elite hornline. Loudest awards ever. 

2018 Santa Clara Vanguard- Despite not having a recognizable theme, this show drew me in, and I was blown away seeing it for the 1st time. I wish I could have seen this one live. 

Bluecoats gave me my first live drum corps experience in 2009 so they have always been special to me, so seeing them ascend and take it all in 2016 was pretty awesome.   That show is just explosive, it took lots of things that had been experimented with and just said f-it, we are going to do it all in one show.  

That show is just non stop excitement.  If you just listen to it it’s pretty old school exciting high octane in your face drum corps.  That show though looked like nothing else I had ever seen in DCI.  The uniforms, the way they played with vertical space, the prop usage, etc. was just all done incredibly well.  I’m not saying everything they did was new, but no one had done it that way all together before.  So that’s my pick.  

Also shout out to Carolina Crown in 2013.  I caught them on their way to Cali preseason and I had a pretty special feeling after that rehearsal.    It was fun seeing how that show progressed since I had seen it before the season started.  Some pretty special moments in that show.  Was cool having some first time champions this decade.  

• Like 7

There are so many to choose from, and so many that formed my love of drum corps, but I'd have to say getting to watch Vanguard win the championship in Indy last year was truly special. I was there when they won in 1999 and in 2018. So, for me, 2018 Vanguard is my favorite championship show. 

Cadets 1987

Star 1991

Cavies 1995

BD 1997

SCV 1999

Cadets 2000

Phantom 2008

Of those, my favorite show of all time is SCV 1999 - Canyon is my favorite piece performed on the field ever.

• Like 2

Madison 1988

BD 2014

Cadets 1990

SCV 1989

Cadets 1993

• Like 2