Phantom Regiment so underrated!

I saw the season premiere at the movies last night.

I am by no means a DCI judge, but I’ve attended plenty of shows for the past 10 years and used to march as a trumpet player.

For me, as far as entertainment value and performance quality, I thought Bluecoats, BAC, and PR were incredibly captivating. Yes, I would put PR in the same sentence as the other two. Why does PR get no love from the judges?? I’d love an honest answer as to what is so off about the PR show or execution to warrant last place.

(For the record, I’ve loved CC shows and root hard for them. And my first love is The Cadets, having band directors who marched Cadets. So I’m no PR homer. I’m not loving either CC or Cadets shows this year, at least not yet.)

• Haha 1

Just because a show is more entertaining doesn't mean that it will score higher a lot of the time (example: 90's Scouts). I do like Phantom's show more than the Blue Stars and Cadets so far, but I feel like all the other corps at Detroit were cleaner and had more going on with their shows, even if I didn't like some of them as much, but I can understand why they score higher most of the time. To be a good judge, I feel like you have to ignore whatever emotion a show gives you and just look at the content of the show and the execution. It takes a really good eye and ear to do that, and things don't come across nearly as clear on the big screen as they do live.

5 hours ago, Tupid_06 said:

all the other corps at Detroit were cleaner

THIS

'nuff said

• Like 2

It has been made abundantly clear by others in this thread and another PR thread, this years corps is young and must focus on cleaning/developing. PR has always been known to layer as they go through the season. I expect this season will be no different.

I’ll reserve judgement on their final placement until I’ve had an opportunity to see them live. As for the comment about judges ignoring the emotional impact of a given program/performance....well, I don’t find that to be true. Judging these days is a subjective crapshoot. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Sutasaurus said:

PR has always been known to layer as they go through the season.

Every single corps has been known to layer as they go through the season. Nothing specific to PR here.

The biggest issue is DESIGN, DESIGN, DESIGN. Well, that was their biggest issue 2013 through today. Their design has gotten worse and worse each season. Now talent is issue also a HUGE issue (but is it the biggest they are facing?). As late as 2012 and perhaps 2013, people who wanted to win went to PR. There was still an allure that brought top talent there. That is not the case today. Sadly, PR may be turning into a feeder in the sense that people come in, march a season or two to get their world class experience, then move on to bigger and better. 

They have been on a downward trend since 2012. I just cannot fathom why people would think that is just going to turn around all on its own when they have literally done nothing to put any pieces in place to turn that trend around. It's really heartbreaking actually to see this once great corps in such a state. 

Edited by queenanne_1536
  • Like 1

I've yet to see the show, though I'm hearing there are videos from 06/20. Until I can at least see those, I'll have to withhold any true judgement until I see them in Atlanta late season. I'm sure some video will pop up throughout the season.