Phantom Regiment so underrated!

Ok, what’s particularly unclean about PR? Members marching out of step or out of formation? Late musical entrances or imprecise drumming or brass articulations?

I’ll admit I don’t have as keen an eye and ear, so I’m asking out of genuine curiosity.

I think there are awesome “moments” in that show that gave me chills, so I don’t get that the design is flawed. Execution - ok maybe. It was really cool and innovative how some of the mm’s had two different brass instruments in their two hands and played each in alternating fashion, one-handed. (Is that viewed as gimmicky by judges and you all?) I don’t quite remember other things they did, but they did a few things that I thought were really cool and unique.

Edited by Malaguena Salerosa
  • Like 1

Underrated?

WHO?

PHANTOM REGIMENT?

No. That's never happened in the history of DCI 

16 minutes ago, Malaguena Salerosa said:

Ok, what’s particularly unclean about PR? Members marching out of step or out of formation? Late musical entrances or imprecise drumming or brass articulations?

I’ll admit I don’t have as keen an eye and ear, so I’m asking out of genuine curiosity.

I think there are awesome “moments” in that show that gave me chills, so I don’t get that the design is flawed. Execution - ok maybe. It was really cool and innovative how some of the mm’s had two different brass instruments in their two hands and played each in alternating fashion, one-handed. (Is that viewed as gimmicky by judges and you all?) I don’t quite remember other things they did, but they did a few things that I thought were really cool and unique.

There seem to be 3 different kinds of Phantom posters on DCP over the years. 

1. The die hard fans who may try to put a silver lining on everything PR does

2. The middle-men (and women) who try to look at things subjectively and hold out hope that things will improve as the season progresses

3. The people who seem at times to think that PR is doomed to burn in a dumpster fire unless they come out on day 1 with a top 5 show

All of these posters generally make some good and valid points. But if you're trying to get an answer without a LOT of pre-conceptions, it's not going to happen on DCP unless you're really willing to stick it out, read everything from everyone and then watch the show from all points of view.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Every single corps has been known to layer as they go through the season. Nothing specific to PR here.

The biggest issue is DESIGN, DESIGN, DESIGN. Well, that was their biggest issue 2013 through today. Their design has gotten worse and worse each season. Now talent is issue also a HUGE issue (but is it the biggest they are facing?). As late as 2012 and perhaps 2013, people who wanted to win went to PR. There was still an allure that brought top talent there. That is not the case today. Sadly, PR may be turning into a feeder in the sense that people come in, march a season or two to get their world class experience, then move on to bigger and better. 

They have been on a downward trend since 2012. I just cannot fathom why people would think that is just going to turn around all on its own when they have literally done nothing to put any pieces in place to turn that trend around. It's really heartbreaking actually to see this once great corps in such a state. 

THIS. They've not been able to do what it takes to keep top staff (Shaw, Rennick, Gaines, etc.). Alumni is just recently being welcomed back and asked to participate and contribute. It all feeds into the equation. You can't turn the Titanic around so fast, unfortunately.

• Like 1

I have no connection to Phantom or Madison but they are two of my all time fav corps so it pains me to see the scores and the productions the last few years. As people mentioned it’s all about: raising money, retaining top staff then attracting top talent. Changes need to be made to change direction but until then we’ll just enjoy watching the members work their butts off and hopefully have a fun summer (and ignore the scores). 

23 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

I have no connection to Phantom or Madison but they are two of my all time fav corps so it pains me to see the scores and the productions the last few years. As people mentioned it’s all about: raising money, retaining top staff then attracting top talent. Changes need to be made to change direction but until then we’ll just enjoy watching the members work their butts off and hopefully have a fun summer (and ignore the scores). 

They lose soloists to BD and horn section leaders to Crown. It has already become a feeder corps. 

• Like 2

Well, I am hoping as they get cleaner and can execute the show, it will be better.  Their feet were off, people not even close to their mark for particular segments of the show.  For more than a few years,  I am left flat with emotion, when I guess, I expect Phantom to lay me out with the power of their hornline and the music that gets me.  They have traditionally had a guard that tells a story. I miss it.   I know corps change; but I think Phantom is still in a place of reinventing themselves.  They have gone back to familiar territory.  I love the choice of music this year;  I just want more and I hope they can succeed.

• Like 2