Phantom Regiment so underrated!

2 hours ago, Malaguena Salerosa said:

Ok, what’s particularly unclean about PR? Members marching out of step or out of formation? Late musical entrances or imprecise drumming or brass articulations?

I’ll admit I don’t have as keen an eye and ear, so I’m asking out of genuine curiosity.

I think there are awesome “moments” in that show that gave me chills, so I don’t get that the design is flawed. Execution - ok maybe. It was really cool and innovative how some of the mm’s had two different brass instruments in their two hands and played each in alternating fashion, one-handed. (Is that viewed as gimmicky by judges and you all?) I don’t quite remember other things they did, but they did a few things that I thought were really cool and unique.

There are plenty of cool, innovative, and chill-giving moments in the shows of non-finalist corps, so that is no guarantee of a finals placement.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, skevinp said:

There are plenty of cool, innovative, and chill-giving moments in the shows of non-finalist corps, so that is no guarantee of a finals placement.

Exactly, Spirit and Colts had excellent shows last year. Shows that were better designed than Regiment's.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Tupid_06 said:

.... To be a good judge, I feel like you have to ignore whatever emotion a show gives you and just look at the content of the show and the execution....

Ignoring emotional communication when evaluating art is akin to ignoring love in  human relationships. One does so at great peril.  Just like someone who is in a sound relationship will not just look at content and execution but also at the intangible, a good evaluator of art will also look beyond the content and execution to deeply comprehend what moves the soul. The problem DCI has in the build-up evaluation system is attempting to quantify General Effect, an intangible, and assign a ranking number. The more that intangible is placed in a rubric box with descriptors and with preset interpretation criteria, the farther that intangible moves away from human emotion. Try applying that rubric to love and see what happens!!

Edited by Stu

It's the first show of the year, so nay-sayers can relax.

The kids don't know all the notes, they don't yet know where to go on the field, they run out of breath fast.  It's ALWAYS that way early season, literally every corps.  Get back to us in a month to see if the show hasn't improved.  I think it will. 

• Thanks 1

I just watched 1993 Regiment. No one, today, holds a candle to that! I never thought I would be a whiny old timer, but it’s been so long since I’ve gone back that far. Had to because of FOEG. Today, everyone has the same formula and there’s so much less musicality.