When was the last time Cavaliers beat BD in brass?

4 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

There are a few misconceptions here:

• The notion that DCI shows have to be the fastest, loudest, highest, and most demanding in music and drill is a poor way to look at competitive drum corps. Play great music and make the show work. 
  • The notion that less traditional marching somehow means less athletic and less demanding. That is false. In some way the combination of body movement, dance, jazz running, and traditional drill is WAY more difficult than just traditional drill. 

Watch the on-field cam that was on one of the soprano soloists from BD 2017 during a rehearsal. Not sure if this is still up. From that perspective you can see the physical nature of performance in music and movement, and you can hear the breathing.  Most people that have been out of the activity for some time, unless incredibly athletic, would not make it through the first tune of that show without huffing and puffing and playing like crap. 

Exactly. I think, for me, the reason I felt that fastest, loudest, highest, and most demanding in music and drill was the most demanding was because I came into the activity in the mid-80s and all that whiplash stuff exploded shortly there after, and it was really quite a marvel to see what Star and Cadets were doing in the early 90s (and far beyond for the Cadets). I mean I just remember scrapping my jaw off the stadium floor at 1990 quarters when Star finished. 

But, I have grown and there are a lot of things that add to demand. If SCV's show (as someone seems to be claiming) is so easy then they would have their whole show on the field.

• Like 1

Just now, queenanne_1536 said:

Exactly. I think, for me, the reason I felt that fastest, loudest, highest, and most demanding in music and drill was the most demanding was because I came into the activity in the mid-80s and all that whiplash stuff exploded shortly there after, and it was really quite a marvel to see what Star and Cadets were doing in the early 90s (and far beyond for the Cadets). I mean I just remember scrapping my jaw off the stadium floor at 1990 quarters when Star finished. 

But, I have grown and there are a lot of things that add to demand. If SCV's show (as someone seems to be claiming) is so easy then they would have their whole show on the field.

No doubt. I don't think the average person understands just how physical this new style is. And yes, Garfield Cadets (Cadets) back in the day was AWESOME! I loved it. That style, and variations of it from Star and Cavaliers, have led to what we have today. Today is a different kind of physical demand. My girlfriend was a dancer in her youth. She has taught me a lot about the physical demand of dance and body movement. Now couple that with jazz running, traditional drill, and demanding music charts and you have monster demand. Then throw in a ballad. A ballad can be incredibly demanding because the performers usually come off 1 or 2 very fast-paced musical charts with all kinds of physical demand, and now have to slow the breathing to phrase and control tone appropriately for a ballad...not to mention still doing more visual stuff. 

By the way, to get back on topic, I think it's great that Cavaliers came out strong and hung in there with two excellent corps. Not surprised about the brass score. Good to hear Cavaliers have an excellent line, but BD's brass line is a little ragged at the moment mostly due to visual demands and the demands in the music. I do think we will see and hear this BD brass line clean-up nicely over the next few weeks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

The notion that DCI shows have to be the fastest, loudest, highest, and most demanding in music and drill is a poor way to look at competitive drum corps. 

It's a great way to look at drum corps! 

3 hours ago, HolyNOLA said:

I would like to point out it's easy to have high brass scores when you only march like 10 sets. 

Really???  Cavaliers are known for marching fewer sets?  My perception of their reputation is quite different.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cavie74 said:

Really???  Cavaliers are known for marching fewer sets?  My perception of their reputation is quite different.

I think you read that backwards. Bloo Devils traditionally have high brass scores, fewer sets, lots of standing around. 

I think it was 2017 when the broadcasters actually said something like "it may not be the most demanding show..."

Edited by HolyNOLA
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Cavie74 said:

I think he was referring to Vanguard, actually, but what do I know?

3 hours ago, Cavie74 said:

He didn't explain it clearly. I think the implication was the BD has gotten high music scores because they don't march as much as other corps.

It's basically a summation of a bunch of topics that have been beaten to death on DCP over the past decade and a half and also on RAMD before that.

It's a new topic to him, so...

BD gets high scores because they have a great design team, that designs shows for high scores, and have historically been able to recruit the most experienced and accomplished marching members across the board.

Some of the criticism of BD -- some levied by me -- is that their shows are very chopped up, predictable from a staging standpoint, and basically sacrifice the audience's viewing pleasure for the scorebook. But in the past three seasons they have begun to step outside of their standard show theme concepts into more story-telling concepts. Personally I really like this direction for selfish reasons, it simply suits my creative interests. That said, regardless, BD has scored the highest because they design their entire system to do so, and have the resources to attract the best age out marching members in the activity.