Self indulgent shows

6 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

How many artists works were universally panned at the outset only to be later looked upon as masterworks? Of course some never received critical acclaim, that is how art works. I'm sure many will groan at calling this activity art but that is what it is, a form of performance art in its own right. Maybe a stretch in this activity but I think it is something to think about and reference when viewing programs.

That reminds me of the 2013 Devils.  I was sitting at show with a music colleague of mine and he noted "I really didn't like that show... Like, I really hated it".  And I reminded him "sounds like the critical review of the source music at the time".  In spite of how the Stravinsky material is viewed today, it is still an exercise in appreciation.

For what it's worth, I really enjoyed the 2013 Devils... my wife did to.  And I think I liked it for what it was without having to think too hard or dig deeply into the (very small) musicology compartment in my brain.

• Like 1

I think Stravinsky himself is an excellent example of someone whose works were not well received at the time they were composed but are now looked upon as masterworks. Not in anyway making an apples to apples comparison between Stravinsky and our little niche performance art activity but I think you get the drift.

If every show out there was 12 minutes of high octane, in your face energy things would get boring and stale real quick. Diversity is what makes the activity great.

• Like 1

If this is a niche activity, as many have stated..with a select few who are revered as design GODS, then self indulgence seems inevitable...not that they are egocentric to a fault, but rather, when you're in charge it's nice to be the KING/QUEEN!!

1 hour ago, Spatzzz said:

How many artists works were universally panned at the outset only to be later looked upon as masterworks? Of course some never received critical acclaim, that is how art works. I'm sure many will groan at calling this activity art but that is what it is, a form of performance art in its own right. Maybe a stretch in this activity but I think it is something to think about and reference when viewing programs.

Aside:  I have never though of drum corps shows as “art”.  Entertainment?  Yes. Art?  Not so much. Leave that to the guys who cut their ears off and such. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, garfield said:

Oh! Oh!  Bluecoats should sponsor this research and then make a show out of it.

Sort of a “Fini” of hot mess design disasters done to score top 5.

I might actually care about Coats again after that.

Dan Potter and Tim Hinton podcasts have done this very thing

2 hours ago, Cadevilina Crown said:

Unpopular opinion: The 2008-13 era of BD has actually grown on me a lot.

nope. fungus has had more success

a member of the Bluecoats design team participated in a clinic for the circuit in which I judge, and someone ( not me, my questions were about electronics) asked if they ever had one they wanted to do over. They mentioned 11, because outside of Creep, it just never went where the team wanted it too, and it was too late to totally overhaul.  That kind of honesty was absolutely refreshing

Edited by Jeff Ream
  • Like 4

Some drum corps show concepts can be like a foreign film, with emphasis on the word film which sounds more sophisticated. Just as foreign films often have abstract concepts, lots of symbols, and people who experience bizarre emotions, descriptions of many shows can be similar. However, when you watch the foreign film, even with all the symbols, it’s still at its core a story of a boy and his dog, people falling in love, or a tale of loss and greed, just like an American movie, emphasis on movie. 

You can have the greatest show reveal, have a long detailed description, and it can impress many, but if the show is poorly designed, the music does not grab you, and it’s not performed well, you won’t get people on their feet. 

2 hours ago, Jeff Ream said:

a member of the Bluecoats design team participated in a clinic for the circuit in which I judge, and someone ( not me, my questions were about electronics) asked if they ever had one they wanted to do over. They mentioned 11, because outside of Creep, it just never went where the team wanted it too, and it was too late to totally overhaul. 

Heh... summer of 1991, a friend with Cadets' admin team said this to me about their "ABC's of Modern American Music" show: "Well... it sure looked good on paper!!!" :laughing:

Edited by Fran Haring
  • Haha 1