We need a Fan Ranking App

Here's how it would work:

1) Download the app to your smart phone or tablet
2) Location services must be enabled
3) Create an account at App Host

Anyone with a device running the app within X miles of the venue can login (Location services would automatically check to see what show you're at), and rank the corps as they see fit. "X" is the minimum accuracy of location services. I would not let anyone vote unless they are at the show. Streaming is not good enough, sorry. If people care enough to sit outside the venue and vote (cuz they're within X miles), more power to them. Maybe DCI will create a block party option, with screens setup outside for just such an experience.

The App would allow you to rank every corps at a show, in [whatever] captions, and overall placement. It should also allow people to opt out ("I'm not qualified," or "I never pay attention to [caption]") so those can be ignored in the final tally. There would be a cutoff time for submission (say, 5 minutes after last show), but everyone would have to officially submit. Note that you could start ranking as soon as the show starts, even before all of the corps perform (ha, judges do it this way, too! I keed I keed!). And then you might move things around as the show progresses.

No scores. Just ranking. I imagine the app being nothing more than point-hold-drag on a list of show corps names, as you move the teams around, placing them in the rank order you prefer. Quick drop-down menu to switch captions/attributes for ranking.

When show is over, hit submit, and within 5 minutes of the cutoff time, the entire results should be known.

Other thoughts:

--The results could be tallied and displayed in real time during the show. It would be interesting to see how that information might affect how people vote. You'd hear comments like: "Bluecoats are still in first, but they haven't even performed yet!"and "Oh wow! SCV jumped over BD after that!" The excitement would be palpable.

--AD-driven app (somehow, the technology has to get paid for). Corps at the show could pay a few bucks to get their corps ads into the app, with links to their merch sites. The corps could even generate show-oriented merch with this kind of app/demand. The possibilities are endless.

--Hopefully, after a few years, DCI would get rid of the judges entirely, and just go with the App.

--I don't care about the "unscientific" nature of this. It can't be any worse than the garbage logic the judges are using (See Competitive Inertia). If someone wants to take it further, one could put a barcode on the tickets, and only let users who scan the barcode vote. But seriously, if some fans are so thoroughly invested in the outcome, that they want to show up to the venue area (within X miles), and vote without seeing the show, that's fine. I actually trust those hard-core fans more than I trust the judges, lol. Then again, I really don't want people from all over the world voting...that is rife with statistical and technical pitfalls. The goal is to reward the show goer with a fun opportunity to make their feelings known.

--The App could let people choose a "judging profile," where they'd specify their experience or confidence in judging, lol. I'd love to see how many people think they actually know what they're doing, and then compare the "I'm immensely qualified to be a DCI judge" profiles against the real judging outcomes.

--I know I dog on the judging a lot, but I think the Fan Ranking App outcome would be very close to the judging outcome, most of the time. Note that I'm choosing my words carefully, with most, like 50.1% lol. I really don't care what these paid judges think. I'm more interested in what the audience thinks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, flammaster said:

Why so certain corps can dog pile on there even though they suck.

it would be like the twitter polls where Bernie gets 83% of the vote or Idol when the best person loses. No thanks.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Bruckner8 said:

--Hopefully, after a few years, DCI would get rid of the judges entirely, and just go with the App. 

--I know I dog on the judging a lot, but I think the Fan Ranking App outcome would be very close to the judging outcome, most of the time. Note that I'm choosing my words carefully, with most, like 50.1% lol. I really don't care what these paid judges think. I'm more interested in what the audience thinks.

DCI as a high school popularity contest.  Please no.

2 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Well it wouldn't be fair since Cavies would place 1st everytime 🙂

well you would vote 100,000 times each show - so...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bruckner8 said:

Here's how it would work:

In all honesty, do you really believe that is how it would work? Or... Would the parents, family, friends, and alumni of each corps, the people who collectivly make up a majority of the audience, actually vote for their own blood, brothers, and sisters instead of a more deserving rival? I lean toward the latter.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Hook'emCavies said:

Well it wouldn't be fair since Cavies would place 1st everytime 🙂

I actually was thinking about this earlier...

The Cavaliers had all the love and attention of younger fans in the 2000s but now that belongs to the Bluecoats in the 2010s. All the high school or younger fans I see just go crazy for Bluecoats over anyone else (and that's before Bluecoats have even performed)