We need a Fan Ranking App

16 hours ago, George Dixon said:

it would be like the twitter polls where Bernie gets 83% of the vote or Idol when the best person loses. No thanks.

He was cheated by the DNC bird brain.  Those 3 million votes came from California.

40 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

All Bruckner is saying is that when two corps are so close together that judges can't decide, they default to external factors like past performance. He calls this concept "competitive inertia" (and he offered one hypothesis to test his theory: a corps needs to medal before it can win a championship -- something which has happened in every year except 1972). Search the forums for that phrase and you'll find the hotly discussed thread he started on that subject several years ago. You and he actually agree more than not, I think.

What's more interesting to me is how this reflects larger societal arguments about how much trust we should place in experts. There are good points on both sides and the truth is somwhere in the middle. That's not just in the arts, but it is true that historically, the people who get paid to make artistic judgments are often deemed by history to have been wrong.

Pardon my ignorance (Despite being a drum corps fan for over 60 years now, I'm a totally visual art oriented person) but I find that comment perplexing.  If judging is being done using a rubric, and there are multiple judges used to constitute the final total score, why would an individual judge HAVE to make a numerical distinction between two corps' performances?  Is there a requirement that judges cannot score two corps the same?  In true rubric judging, each performance should stand alone on its own merits: past performances or placements, or the performance of another corps, would not have any bearing on where the judge places a corps on the rubrics matrix.  It is quite conceivable for a judge to end up having two corps score the same.   (I guess I'm saying I just don't buy this concept of "competitive inertia" at all.)

[Not trying to be a jerk about this; I have just been very interested in the topic of judging in "artistic" activities lately, as my wife's two choruses have both qualified for, and are  headed to an international competition this fall.  In our conversations it strikes me that the judging in both drum corps and chorus competitions are incredibly similar in both content and application.]

8 hours ago, Photographer Jim said:

Pardon my ignorance (Despite being a drum corps fan for over 60 years now, I'm a totally visual art oriented person) but I find that comment perplexing.  If judging is being done using a rubric, and there are multiple judges used to constitute the final total score, why would an individual judge HAVE to make a numerical distinction between two corps' performances?  Is there a requirement that judges cannot score two corps the same?  In true rubric judging, each performance should stand alone on its own merits: past performances or placements, or the performance of another corps, would not have any bearing on where the judge places a corps on the rubrics matrix.  It is quite conceivable for a judge to end up having two corps score the same.   (I guess I'm saying I just don't buy this concept of "competitive inertia" at all.)

[Not trying to be a jerk about this; I have just been very interested in the topic of judging in "artistic" activities lately, as my wife's two choruses have both qualified for, and are  headed to an international competition this fall.  In our conversations it strikes me that the judging in both drum corps and chorus competitions are incredibly similar in both content and application.]

Your question is eminently reasonable. My understanding is that judges are strongly encouraged not to issues tie scores in their captions: "rank and rate" is the phrase normally used to describe what they're supposed to do, with the implication that they do both, but ranking is their first job.

9 hours ago, flammaster said:

He was cheated by the [political content removed]. Those [political content removed] came from [political content removed].

No. And no.

17 minutes ago, N.E. Brigand said:

Your question is eminently reasonable. My understanding is that judges are strongly encouraged not to issues tie scores in their captions: "rank and rate" is the phrase normally used to describe what they're supposed to do, with the implication that they do both, but ranking is their first job.

Which has never made any sense to me, because it forces less accurate scoring, and is no more likely to prevent a tie in the overall total score than to cause one.