Hostrauser's DCI Power Rankings - Week 1 (6/24)

I don’t think there is any other scored activity that has its outcome so accurately predicted than drum corps.  After 3-4 weeks, what point is there to remain on the road once your placement has been decided?  You can’t argue with this or the DCI ranking.  They are extremely accurate.  Just kinda takes the wind out of the sails for those struggling corps.  It also proves that corps designers should be more pragmatic and develop their shows in stages throughout the season.  Prediction lists and rankings should be dropped and only the scores be published.  

• Like 2

How are the corps who haven’t performed yet ranked? I enjoy seeing your rankings, but just curious. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, Reed said:

How are the corps who haven’t performed yet ranked? I enjoy seeing your rankings, but just curious. Thanks!

Scoring trends from last year's championships week and the week prior. In modern DCI, it's usually safe to assume a corps will be more or less in the same range as the year prior. There are always exceptions, of course, but we don't need to plan on, say Jersey Surf or the Cascades, suddenly coming out and scoring with the likes SCV and Crown. That sort of build up takes time.

It's basically a stab in the dark, but it'll have to do until 2019 scores come in for those corps.

• Like 1

not sure how your rankings can place Crown over Bluecoats.  they've met once and bluecoats beat them.  then Bluecoats beat Cadets on Saturday by 4.55.  sunday crown beat Cadets by just under 4 points.  Based on head to head and most recent spreads against common corps Bluecoats should be at least .5 ahead of Crown

Your Algorithm makes no sense unless you are using relative spreads and not just latest scores cause scores vary based on the competition you see.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

Kudos for sticking your neck out there, hostrauser after just week 1. Not a big sample to work with yet, but I like where you're headed with this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, bluecoats88 said:

not sure how your rankings can place Crown over Bluecoats.  they've met once and bluecoats beat them.  then Bluecoats beat Cadets on Saturday by 4.55.  sunday crown beat Cadets by just under 4 points.  Based on head to head and most recent spreads against common corps Bluecoats should be at least .5 ahead of Crown

Your Algorithm makes no sense unless you are using relative spreads and not just latest scores cause scores vary based on the competition you see.

Because it isn't based on JUST head to head. 

That's not abnormal for ranking polls. College football teams ROUTINELY end up higher in polls than teams they lost to. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Land_Surfer said:

I don’t think there is any other scored activity that has its outcome so accurately predicted than drum corps.  After 3-4 weeks, what point is there to remain on the road once your placement has been decided?  You can’t argue with this or the DCI ranking.  They are extremely accurate.  Just kinda takes the wind out of the sails for those struggling corps.  It also proves that corps designers should be more pragmatic and develop their shows in stages throughout the season.  Prediction lists and rankings should be dropped and only the scores be published.  

There are plenty of good reasons to stay on the road even if your corps isn’t going to win or make the top 12.   Because it isn’t just about winning. Drop the scores entirely and focus on the educational experience for the youth and entertaining large crowds of people. Way too much emphasis on scores and placement in my opinion.   If this activity was all about winning I never would’ve spent a nickel of my family’s hard-earned money on drum Corps tuition.  I’ve had my kids in this activity so they could be better people who are prepared for life.

And I get to collect more T-shirt’s.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1