Hostrauser's DCI Power Rankings - Week 1 (6/24)

I was in small, struggling corps for years and wouldn't have given it up for anything. 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, bluecoats88 said:

not sure how your rankings can place Crown over Bluecoats.  they've met once and bluecoats beat them.  then Bluecoats beat Cadets on Saturday by 4.55.  sunday crown beat Cadets by just under 4 points.  Based on head to head and most recent spreads against common corps Bluecoats should be at least .5 ahead of Crown

Your Algorithm makes no sense unless you are using relative spreads and not just latest scores cause scores vary based on the competition you see.

He may be working more off of Boston's relationship to both and then Crown's inflation of score... but as the man said... this will take some time to get good data.

Thanks Hostrauser!  Love getting these, especially when the mdelcorso rankings get behind (as they seem to be right now).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

not sure how your rankings can place Crown over Bluecoats.  they've met once and bluecoats beat them.  then Bluecoats beat Cadets on Saturday by 4.55.  sunday crown beat Cadets by just under 4 points.  Based on head to head and most recent spreads against common corps Bluecoats should be at least .5 ahead of Crown

Your Algorithm makes no sense unless you are using relative spreads and not just latest scores cause scores vary based on the competition you see.

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, WaxDCIFan said:

There are plenty of good reasons to stay on the road even if your corps isn’t going to win or make the top 12.   Because it isn’t just about winning. Drop the scores entirely and focus on the educational experience for the youth and entertaining large crowds of people. Way too much emphasis on scores and placement in my opinion.   If this activity was all about winning I never would’ve spent a nickel of my family’s hard-earned money on drum Corps tuition.  I’ve had my kids in this activity so they could be better people who are prepared for life.

And I get to collect more T-shirt’s.

This!!!  Performers love to perform.  DCI crowds love to watch performers do their thing. It's a thrilling and exciting activity regardless of who wins or who makes top 5. In the end, NOBODY loses. Kids get to travel, learn, make life-long friends, and perform. 

Edited by jwillis35
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jwillis35 said:

It's a thrilling and exciting activity regardless of who wins or who makes top 5. In the end, NOBODY loses. Kids get to travel, learn, make life-long friends, and perform. 

That’s what some players and fans say about senior softball, but I still want to win the two tournaments that you don’t have to pay for a championship ring.

Thanks for this, Hostrauser . Fun to read and follow.

It would seem that transitivity is just one aspect of this algorithm. Current data is current data, and growth trends must be another. (I got your back hostrauser)

Our society is measured by scores.  Scores are often used in the decision making process to help determine which corps to march, as well as to help instrument and pageantry suppliers / manufacturers allocate promotional / support funds, goods and services.  Thus, the necessity to remain in the top-12 and most especially in the top-5, as that is where the strongest ROI is received.  Scores mean everything in this activity.  

Edited by Land_Surfer

1 hour ago, GeneralTsoChicken said:

Because it isn't based on JUST head to head. 

That's not abnormal for ranking polls. College football teams ROUTINELY end up higher in polls than teams they lost to. 

right and if you notice what I said any good ranking would use head to head and common opponents in this season based on spreads.  nothing that has happened yet this year lends itself to a prediction of crown over bluecoats.  the only thing that does is current score, which is irrelevant from different contests with unlike opponents, so really the only factor that truly can be used to compare those two right now is head to head and spreads over common opponents.  This ranking system just seems more like wishful thinking than analysis of what is actually happening in the season.

This makes absolutely no sense at all. According to your formula my favorite corps isn't where I think they should be.  😤

• Like 3