Cincinnati Summer Music Games 6/25

1 minute ago, Terri Schehr said:

I always thought the push up thing was kinda dopey and I was never in a corps that did that.  I mean, we have military roots but we’re not actually the Marine Corps.  “Drop and give me twenty!” 

As with everything times and methods change and nearly always for the better. The problem is that people that lived under the old ways nearly always think that method is the best. Over simplifying it here but you don't effectively train a dog by beating it into submission, your train with encouragement. That doesn't mean you don't work just as hard or ever harder. In fact kids will work HARDER with a carrot than under the stick. It is just a fact that many don't comprehend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cfirwin3 said:

The funny thing is that nobody really ever made anyone do it (maybe section leaders or something).  Kids just assumed... it was ingrained in the culture.

We, in the mello line, never did pushups.  But mello lines are universally perfect, of course.

After French horn lines, sure. :tongue:

• Haha 2

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I’m that beast who played both but I found the mello to be far more glamorous.  I dubbed it the glamour horn. 

11 seasons on French horn for me... loved it. One season on mellophone... 1976 in junior corps... hated it.  Probably because I sucked at it, and our corps sucked too. :tongue:

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, FlamMan said:

Rest and recovery??? From what??? The darn season just started a few days ago! Scouts are getting their butts kicked and getting beat by everyone, and they practice for only 3 hrs 15 min??? Good lord...I realize that this generation is full of soft insecure safe spacers, but for the love of God, I never would have thought that the Madison freaking Scouts would take this route. There is a right answer and its PRACTICE. Fire this regime.

9 hours ago, FlamMan said:

You can attempt to defend the 2019 Madison Scouts leadership team giving members a "rest and relaxation" day 3 days after the start of the season, but while Madison gets rested, their competitors are practicing and the Scouts are losing ground.  The Cadets have the right approach, Madison does not.

Yeah!  And the Cadets are from the Eastern time zone, while Madison is Central.  That means Madison is one hour behind the competition before the season even starts!  Fire the admins/BOD!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, 2muchcoffeeman said:

I marched in the era when the most sophisticated teaching method was: "Again."

Very good point - old school 80s/90s drum corps instruction was almost like teaching by repetition and muscle memory -- just pound it over and over again until they get it right -- visiting rehearsals today is night and day different from old school -- if corps fans have not made a point of driving out and watching a corps rehearse you are really missing out --

oftentimes the rehearsal is more entertaining than the show later that day --

Just now, Terri Schehr said:

I’m that beast who played both but I found the mello to be far more glamorous.  I dubbed it the glamour horn. 

I'm the TRUMPET player that when they said 'we need some mellophones'... I said 'give me that thing'.

So... not only am I universally perfect... I'm also better than everyone else.

• Haha 8

23 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

I always thought the push up thing was kinda dopey and I was never in a corps that did that.  I mean, we have military roots but we’re not actually the Marine Corps.  “Drop and give me twenty!” 

I hear that. Pushups never helped me play a horn better. LOL

• Like 3