Cincinnati Summer Music Games 6/25

7 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

That cannot be easy.  Do you have to set two watches?   LOL

I don't do that anymore,  it it was a challenge. I had to be at work at 7:30, it took me 30 minutes to drive and I left home at 8. Of course I lost that hour after work. 

5 hours ago, Den8uml said:

Unless you’re around the corps all day every day then you can’t possibly know what the kids need right now.  Great leadership is smart enough to know when they are physically and mentally ready to be pushed and when they would benefit more from a break so they can come back focused and energized.  

THIS!  And thank you!  I do hear Madison is younger. Corps with kids ranging from 14 to 18 must operate differently than those with young adults in the 18-22 age range.  Experience is a factor too. And as you stated, nobody knows better how the members are doing than those who teach them and feed them every day on tour.  Even older and more experienced corps have to take into account health and safety and morale as they go through tour. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

THIS!  And thank you!  I do hear Madison is younger. Corps with kids ranging from 14 to 18 must operate differently than those with young adults in the 18-22 age range.  Experience is a factor too. And as you stated, nobody knows better how the members are doing than those who teach them and feed them every day on tour.  Even older and more experienced corps have to take into account health and safety and morale as they go through tour. 

Absolutely!!!

• Like 2

On 6/25/2019 at 11:52 PM, N.E. Brigand said:

Other countries have their own quirks. One province in Canada is a half-hour different than the next one over. That province was the subject of recent Broadway musical. I haven't seen it; I wonder if any of the songs would translate to drum corps.

Your taking about Newfoundland. They are a half hour before Maritime provinces. I’m in Ontario. Eastern standard. 

1 hour ago, Cicook7 said:

Your taking about Newfoundland. They are a half hour before Maritime provinces. I’m in Ontario. Eastern standard. 

I am indeed. I cannot recall: is all of Newfoundland and Labrador on the same half-hour time zone, or just the Newfoundland portion?

On 6/26/2019 at 6:53 AM, Den8uml said:

Unless you’re around the corps all day every day then you can’t possibly know what the kids need right now.  Great leadership is smart enough to know when they are physically and mentally ready to be pushed and when they would benefit more from a break so they can come back focused and energized.  

Scouts leadership team us a complete failure. 

On 6/26/2019 at 7:53 AM, MrNailbat said:

Says he was never overworked, underfed, sick, or injured.

Demands that Scouts overwork current members.

You should leave the activity.

Ah, poor babies need rest 3 days after the season started and your corps is getting destroyed.  There is only one way to improved and that his practice.

8 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Ah, poor babies need rest 3 days after the season started and your corps is getting destroyed.  There is only one way to improved and that his practice.

Just watched the show for the first time a few minutes ago. The problems are in the design more so the performance. An extra half day of practice isn't going to fix that. They may as well rest.

Anyway, it sounds like you hate the current members of your own corps. So you should probably leave the activity.

Edited by MrNailbat
  • Like 2

Just watched the show. It looks like exactly what a certain segment of people demanded. Design from 20-30 years ago. I really enjoy that era of drum corps, but the game has changed.

Interesting to see when people get what they asked for and then complain when they get it.

2 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Didn't their "season" start in Spring Training?  How long was their ST?  How did your ST days go?  Or wasn't there ST when you marched?   How much better might you have been if someone was smarter about your rehearsal.   If I saw an instructor running rehearsals like you wish them to be run, I would personally bounce their butt right out of there.  And I would not be the first in line to do it.  We used to rehearse as you suggest.  After a while it becomes counterproductive.  If you want the Scouts to not get better, then punish them and run rehearsals as you think it should be run, because that is what it becomes. 

• Thanks 1