Cincinnati Summer Music Games 6/25

36 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Didn't their "season" start in Spring Training?  How long was their ST?  How did your ST days go?  Or wasn't there ST when you marched?   How much better might you have been if someone was smarter about your rehearsal.   If I saw an instructor running rehearsals like you wish them to be run, I would personally bounce their butt right out of there.  And I would not be the first in line to do it.  We used to rehearse as you suggest.  After a while it becomes counterproductive.  If you want the Scouts to not get better, then punish them and run rehearsals as you think it should be run, because that is what it becomes. 

Stop.  You’re using logic and common sense.  There is no room for that here! 

• Like 1

"Never underestimate the power of rest."

-Me after climbing stairs. 

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

Scouts leadership team us a complete failure. 

And you know this how? Are you with the corps every day?  Great leadership has nothing to do with scores. The leaders of the Scouts make sure the kids are fed, get rest, travel safe, have a place to stay while on the road and also for spring training. They make sure the corps is funded. They make sure there is medical staff available. 

How the corps scores in the field has to do with LOTS of factors, but mostly the age and experience of the members, the quality of design and teaching staff, and the effort the marching members are willing to put forth. Just because Madison's staff decided to rest the members early one afternoon does not mean this is the norm. You don't know what they went through the day before. If I had to guess, I'll bet you these Madison Scouts members are working their tail-ends off. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, N.E. Brigand said:

I am indeed. I cannot recall: is all of Newfoundland and Labrador on the same half-hour time zone, or just the Newfoundland portion?

Just Newfoundland as it is an island, Labrador is the same as the maritime.

1 hour ago, Cicook7 said:

Just Newfoundland as it is an island, Labrador is the same as the maritime.

For anyone who's never been: I highly recommend visiting Gros Morne National Park on Newfoundland's west coast. Also the locals there speak with an amazing accent.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, jwillis35 said:

And you know this how? Are you with the corps every day?  Great leadership has nothing to do with scores. The leaders of the Scouts make sure the kids are fed, get rest, travel safe, have a place to stay while on the road and also for spring training. They make sure the corps is funded. They make sure there is medical staff available. 

How the corps scores in the field has to do with LOTS of factors, but mostly the age and experience of the members, the quality of design and teaching staff, and the effort the marching members are willing to put forth. Just because Madison's staff decided to rest the members early one afternoon does not mean this is the norm. You don't know what they went through the day before. If I had to guess, I'll bet you these Madison Scouts members are working their tail-ends off. 

Great leadership has everything to do with scores, revenue, results etc... The current Madison regime is the most failed in the history of the Scouts. If you believe that everything is going great with Madison, you should probably reexamine your metrics. 

51 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Great leadership has everything to do with scores, revenue, results etc... The current Madison regime is the most failed in the history of the Scouts. If you believe that everything is going great with Madison, you should probably reexamine your metrics. 

How do you know that Madison has the talent or age and experience to be scoring higher than they are? I know great leaders of many corps out there. Not every corps can win or score super high. Doesn't mean their leadership stinks. It means the members are at a different level in experience. I just think you're complaining about a lot of nothing. Madison is fine. If the question is you don't like their instruction or design, then I am fine with that. Many have been unhappy in that sense. But I'll say this in defense of their instructors and designers: Madison was easily one of the most entertaining corps in the history of DCI from the 70s to the late 90s.  Their special brand and blend of entertainment and power was unique, but was done in a way that has made it difficult for them to transition. It's not as easy as people think.  If you can do it, I'd suggest you offer your services instead of bashing & blaming. 

Edited by jwillis35

1 hour ago, FlamMan said:

A successful leader in life or career would know that  things such as engagement, satisfaction, moral, and safety of the members should be your top priority, not just scores, revenue and results!

Edited by Den8uml
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, skevinp said:

Also, Newfoundland is much larger and fluffier than Labrador.

A Final Jeopardy clue from a few years ago, in the category "Dogs & Geography":

"In 2001 the names of these two breeds came together in the new official name of a Canadian province."