Why GE1 and GE2???????

5 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Why is it that the biggest caption is the most confusing?  Why not call GE1 and GE2 what they are - whatever the heck they are?

I don't follow...  BUT HEY! To my associates in the North Canton thread... we can bounce over here if you want! 😉

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Why is it that the biggest caption is the most confusing?  Why not call GE1 and GE2 what they are - whatever the heck they are?

Agree.  Isn't it essentially GE Visual and GE Music?  Would it kill them to label them that way?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Ediker said:

Agree.  Isn't it essentially GE Visual and GE Music?  Would it kill them to label them that way?

Ah.  I get what he's saying.  Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

Just now, Ediker said:

Yes. Exactly my point. To the casual fan, they’d have no idea what 1 and 2 mean (not going there). For such a huge caption, why not call them what they are?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, drumcorpsfever said:

George Hopkins started a push to have both GE captions just be "overall GE", and this was born out of that. To the best of my understanding, GE1 is GE with a visual emphasis and GE2 is GE with a music emphasis.

However, there's more cross-pollination than the old days. GE1 considers what is going on musically more than the old GE Visual did, and GE2 considers the visual aspects more than GE Music did.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Yes. Exactly my point. To the casual fan, they’d have no idea what 1 and 2 mean (not going there). For such a huge caption, why not call them what they are?

They'd know if they ask. 🤷

2 minutes ago, hostrauser said:

George Hopkins started a push to have both GE captions just be "overall GE", and this was born out of that. To the best of my understanding, GE1 is GE with a visual emphasis and GE2 is GE with a music emphasis.

However, there's more cross-pollination than the old days. GE1 considers what is going on musically more than the old GE Visual did, and GE2 considers the visual aspects more than GE Music did.

The names should indicate that.  

Because they are judged on the same sheet with the same criteria for both GE1 and GE2. The only difference is the background of the person sitting in the seat. One has more of a visual background and the other more of a musical background but they are judging the same caption. Both will comment on effect holistically and not in the narrow focus of just music or just visual because the two go hand in hand to create effect as they ALWAYS have.

Edited by Spatzzz
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Just now, hostrauser said:

This is true.  The categories have 'coordination' listed in the considerations and the guidance documentation invites the adjudicators to make assessments on how the other category affects the one that they are dealing with.  Lots of people don't like the wishiwashiness of it, but there is an intent there to have cause for a judge's assessment that isn't blind to important aspects of the show.

But to the first part of that... my standard response these days:

ehem... George?  George who?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1