Why GE1 and GE2???????

Some would argue that having the lines blurred gives the most potential for accuracy because both judges have the ability to average each other (in a manner) by adjudicating the whole.  Even though there is no averaging down from a more incremental point value, having 2 judges free to look at the same stuff potentially has a similar effect.

23 minutes ago, Ediker said:

Agree.  Isn't it essentially GE Visual and GE Music?  Would it kill them to label them that way?

Nah as someone else has said, it's just GE. GE1 just uses judges who primarily judge visual or have a visual background and GE2 uses judges who primarily judge music or have a music background. They both judge the same thing except they just have different backgrounds to pull experience from in scoring the corps.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

Because they are judged on the same sheet with the same criteria for both GE1 and GE2. The only difference is the background of the person sitting in the seat. One has more of a visual background and the other more of a musical background but they are judging the same caption. Both will comment on effect holistically and not in the narrow focus of just music or just visual because the two go hand in hand to create effect as they ALWAYS have.

Thank you!  This is a very helpful explanation.

To me, this is not the same thing as the"emphasis on visual/music" description I often hear.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, wilme861 said:

Nah as someone else has said, it's just GE. GE1 just uses judges who primarily judge visual or have a visual background and GE2 uses judges who primarily judge music or have a music background. They both judge the same thing except they just have different backgrounds to pull experience from in scoring the corps.

I get that GE is GE.  Indicating what kind of expert is making the assessment, in the title of the caption, would be helpful to those without that specialized knowledge of who's doing the evaluating in GE1 and GE2.  

Edited by Ediker
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Ediker said:

I get that GE is GE.  Indicating what kind of expert is making the assessment, in the title of the caption, would be helpful to those without that specialized knowledge of who's doing the  evaluating in GE1 and GE2.  

Explaining that, without misleading people into believing they are judging different things, though, might requie a very tall heading.

How about making each caption label a pop up or hot link that explains the caption, and what the judging criteria is, when we hover over or click on it.

8 minutes ago, skevinp said:

Explaining that, without misleading people into believing they are judging different things, though, might requie a very tall heading.

How about making each caption label a pop up or hot link that explains the caption, and what the judging criteria is, when we hover over or click on it.

Anything would be better than 1 and 2.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Yes. Exactly my point. To the casual fan, they’d have no idea what 1 and 2 mean (not going there). For such a huge caption, why not call them what they are?

For some of us old timers 1 & 2 refers to the left & right side of the 50-yrd line (respectively).  

On the other hand judging the GE on side 1 vs the GE on side 2 could have some interesting results

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How about 1 and 2 are just used so scores for each can be differentiated from one another and that is literally all it means. They are both judging the same caption and that is all that matters. Should you label a Music analysis judge as a percussion player, trumpet player, trombone player etc or are they simply judging Music Analysis? I guess I don't understand the need to know? Does it matter?