Why GE1 and GE2???????

1 hour ago, hostrauser said:

George Hopkins started a push to have both GE captions just be "overall GE", and this was born out of that. To the best of my understanding, GE1 is GE with a visual emphasis and GE2 is GE with a music emphasis.

However, there's more cross-pollination than the old days. GE1 considers what is going on musically more than the old GE Visual did, and GE2 considers the visual aspects more than GE Music did.

I believe Cesario was behind the change

i personally do not support it 

Here we go again, so I took this from the DCI site. Just to clarify!

Responsibilities: One of the GE judges has a music background and the other has a visual background, but each utilizes the same judging sheet because they are effectively judging the entire show, not just the effect of the music offering or the effect of the visual production. GE judges must be the most experienced, most knowledgeable, and most flexible members of the audience. Plus, they know how to manage numbers in order to give a proper score. The GE judges are doing the romantic job, they’re feeling what the show is offering and responding to what the show is. There are three parts to GE, the intellectual, the aesthetic, and the emotional.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

55 minutes ago, Spatzzz said:

How about 1 and 2 are just used so scores for each can be differentiated from one another and that is literally all it means. They are both judging the same caption and that is all that matters. Should you label a Music analysis judge as a percussion player, trumpet player, trombone player etc or are they simply judging Music Analysis? I guess I don't understand the need to know? Does it matter?

If it matters that one have a primarily Visual background and one have a primarily Music background, then it matters to know which is which.  Knowing that the judge with a Visual background prefers Bluecoats and the one with the Music background prefers Crown is helpful to understanding results.  

2 hours ago, drumcorpsfever said:

Why is it that the biggest caption is the most confusing?  Why not call GE1 and GE2 what they are - whatever the heck they are?

because Ge 3 and Ge4 only come out for regionals and finals week

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Ediker said:

Agree.  Isn't it essentially GE Visual and GE Music?  Would it kill them to label them that way?

honestly...it's the same sheet. verbiage identical. one judge assigned has a music background, one judge assigned have a visual background. And in the terminology on the sheet, you have cross over stuff...audio/visual coordination, etc etc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

This is true.  The categories have 'coordination' listed in the considerations and the guidance documentation invites the adjudicators to make assessments on how the other category affects the one that they are dealing with.  Lots of people don't like the wishiwashiness of it, but there is an intent there to have cause for a judge's assessment that isn't blind to important aspects of the show.

But to the first part of that... my standard response these days:

ehem... George?  George who?

Still suffering from the effects of his footprint in the drum corps world. Something that should be reviewed.

You either separate the GEs or have a whole picture, or make a 3rd GE without compromising the overall percentage of GE on the score sheet

9 minutes ago, Ediker said:

If it matters that one have a primarily Visual background and one have a primarily Music background, then it matters to know which is which.  Knowing that the judge with a Visual background prefers Bluecoats and the one with the Music background prefers Crown is helpful to understanding results.  

It doesn’t matter because both judges are judging the same things. Judges differ in opinion not only because of their judging background but a whole lot of other factors too— should we list their corps affiliations, colleges attended, age, where they were born, political affiliations, their social-economic status too?

11 minutes ago, ThePlanets said:

You either separate the GEs or have a whole picture, or make a 3rd GE without compromising the overall percentage of GE on the score sheet

GE is one caption. It is whole picture, the two judges with different backgrounds looking at the same criteria bring a holistic view to the caption. The activity is presented in an audio/visual format and attempting to completely separate the two from one another and isolate them is not doing justice to the time the designers and PERFORMERS put in to master each to make the whole of the program. Individual effects may be primarily visual or primarily musical but they always are referenced within the framework and impacted either positively or negatively by the other.

Edited by Spatzzz

1 minute ago, just_another_fanatic said:

It doesn’t matter because both judges are judging the same things. Judges differ in opinion not only because of their judging background but a whole lot of other factors too— should we list their corps affiliations, colleges attended, age, where they were born, political affiliations, their social-economic status too?

It matters to me to know whether the judge is a Visual or Music expert.  I know they judge the same thing.... I know I'm not supposed to care, but I do....