Strangest warm up spots

It was 2000, Show at the University of Penn, Warm up spots where at a premium, so the BAC Brass climbed the steps of a Parking garage near the stadium and warmed up at the top of a Open Air parking garage about 10 stories up. I remember hearing the corps' sound bounce off all of the surrounding high rises.

Also Year 2005 I think it was Finals night or Semis, There was a rain delay before SCV was about to on, but we had already finished warmup and where on our way to the gate, We ended up taking cover in the stairs of Gillette stadium. Once rain stopped we were cold and needed to re-warm, So DCI allowed us and Vanguard to warm up right next to the stands. We were in the stairs so we just faced one direction and got the conductor to stand where we can see them and we let it rip. Shotgun in the stairs of Gillette. SCV warmed up just outside of the north gates of Gillette. 

5 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

Also Year 2005 I think it was Finals night or Semis, There was a rain delay before SCV was about to on, but we had already finished warmup and where on our way to the gate, We ended up taking cover in the stairs of Gillette stadium. Once rain stopped we were cold and needed to re-warm, So DCI allowed us and Vanguard to warm up right next to the stands. We were in the stairs so we just faced one direction and got the conductor to stand where we can see them and we let it rip. Shotgun in the stairs of Gillette. SCV warmed up just outside of the north gates of Gillette. 

It was finals night, probably my favorite memory of the season. Had a decent crowd gathered up in the stands to listen to us rip through Adagio. I remember us all being grateful for the rain because despite having a lackluster year, the Vanguard still got to perform “under the lights.” I guess that isn’t a thing anymore at LOS. 😅

3 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

It was finals night, probably my favorite memory of the season. Had a decent crowd gathered up in the stands to listen to us rip through Adagio. I remember us all being grateful for the rain because despite having a lackluster year, the Vanguard still got to perform “under the lights.” I guess that isn’t a thing anymore at LOS. 😅

I remember SCV having a big buzz for that performance that night... Boston was almost two point up after Semis and lost by .2 to SCV on Finals night... I attribute that to the Warmup and how Up the Crowd got up from hearing SCV warmup live and being the first corps on after the Rain delay.. I remember re-watching this #### SCV that beat us and being very impressed with how Old-school SCV in your face that Finals Run was.. F-ing Russians!!!.. 

9 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

I remember one late night rolling in to a school in Tx (maybe the Austin area).  As we were setting up for the rest of the night (actually morning by this time) we saw what appeared to be a mouse running along the wall of the gym.

Upon further examination... it turned out to be a cockroach.  A cockroach big enough and fast enough to have been mistaken for a mouse. 🤪

Only in Texas.

I woke up in Atlanta with one staring me right in the eyes.  From that vantage point, it looked to be the size of the African ones you see in the exhibit at Brookfield zoo. 

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, LabMaster said:

Stayed in a school gym in Pell City, AL - giant cockroaches invaded sleeping bags while we rehearsed under a bat filled sky.

Stayed in a church basement in Hicksville, NY

Stayed in a National Guard armory in Oklahoma City - scorpions and spiders.  "Don't worry about the green spiders, it's the Brown Recluse spiders that are the problem.  Like you can tell the difference at night in the dark.  And scorpions are no problem, they are more afraid of you than you are of them.  Except you don't realize just how afraid of the I am.

And rehearsal fields full of red ants are a real treat too.

::shudder::  Big bugs seem to be a common theme in our collective drum corps experiences. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cfirwin3 said:

We had a night in the midwest (maybe Iowa?) where there was a plague like apocalyptic presence of dragonflies the size of your hand (tens of thousands).  It was pretty benign though because they hovered in a plane about 10-15 feet above the field.

Fascinating sight and sound.

Little Rock was like that for us. 

In Sioux City, Iowa, there was some kind of flying insect that was everywhere at night. There were thousands of them.  Like a horror movie. Again ::shudder:: 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2019 at 8:25 PM, Terri Schehr said:

Not my corps but it was Jim’s.  

In 1974, the Kilties slept at the Lynn School of Nursing in Massachusetts.  Imagine that😳

And they rehearsed at the condemned Manning bowl, Lynn.  All in one day. 

Lynn, Lynn, the city of sin..... of course years back if you traveled through Revere to get to Lynn you passed a dog track, strip joints, a ballroom where more drugs were sold than at all CVS’s and Walgreens in the United States combined, and a bookie on every corner, and Lynn was the city of sin? 

Lynn School of Nursing is now a Stop and Shop supermarket. Manning Bowl was often referred to by locals as the Toilet Bowl, until it had to be torn down, then it became sacred. To be fair, I was living in Lynn at the time it was going to be restored and given its historic value, it should have been, but the funding was not available. Today it is Manning Field and a great stadium for school events, though for drum corps fans, the sun is in your eyes for the first performances, and since most of us do not have our high school build, a bit cozy.

Today corps competing in Lynn often warm up at Pine Grove Cemetery where baseball great Harry Agganis is buried along with local celebrities Lydia Pinkham who created Lydia Pinkham’s Medicinal Compound, and H. Allan Durkee who manufactured Marshmallow Fluff and created the “fluffanutter” sandwich. I suppose it was an appropriate place for Crown to warm up in 2015 when they performed “Inferno.”

Edited by Tim K
  • Haha 1