Drum Corps in the year 2040

If DCI is still around it will definitely be under different management. If DCI has folded there will be a new Organization branched out from WGI that will offer more performance opportunities for smaller groups. DCA will morph into this as the WGI influence has taken to having indoor gym shows during the summer.

Finals will move around again as the completely unfair practice of having Finals in Indianapolis is voted against by the groups around the country.

Solar and Electric Technology has been fully integrated and it has reduced the enormously high Fuel Cost associated with moving a fleet around the Country which has reduced the tour fees. The arts and education are emphasized and supported by the federal government so the Marching Arts activity has flourished as a result.

There are no more All-Male Corps, Every Corps in order to compete in this new Championship has to allow all genders in their membership, No Discrimination.

Corps in Canada have returned are supported by this WGI Group to have competitions in Canada and are very competitive with groups from the US as the designers from Canada have local groups to build up.

On the field Groups are separated by size, World Class are large 180 groups that perform on Football fields. The Open Class are smaller groups that perform indoors and have memberships of 80. The well established corps have both World and Open class groups that compete simultaneously. The Indoor Open Class championship is just as competitive and is considered the cutting edge of design as Electronics are fully integrated and live sampling allows for unending variety and style.Varied Lighting is the cutting edge as groups are allowed to manipulate the lighting of the groups and use it to maximize effect.

The Football field shows look similar to what we have today with the exception that there are marching woodwind members that are mic'd and have true ensemble balance to the brass. Because of the mic'ing there is just one player per part so the Woodwind section is between 8-12 players depending on instrumentation. The PIT is not planted on the front sideline as much, They are moved around depending on the show with the normal position being the back part of the field. The Brassline have intermediate dance training and are capable of elevated levels of movement.

2040 seems like a long time but its 20 years... 20 years ago I started marching... its not so far away. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Triple Forte said:

Will probably ruffle some feathers here but I don’t think drum corps will exist anymore in 10 to 15 years.    

If you look at it from a business standpoint, the marching members are the "customer" of the corps, since they are the ones paying the majority of the costs for operations. With the way things are going with excessive props, constant uniform changes, more instruments, etc etc, corps are pricing out their customers. You can't blame rising dues on fuel...that has come down significantly over the last 10 years and looks to remain steady for many years to come. 

44 minutes ago, Glenn426 said:

I2040 seems like a long time but its 20 years... 20 years ago I started marching... its not so far away. 

Tell me. I can remember 20 years ago like it was yesterday, but like my 94 y/o Dad, I couldn't tell you a single thing about my drive into work this morning. 

Edited by OldSnareDrummer
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

Tell me. I can remember 20 years ago like it was yesterday, but like my 94 y/o Dad, I couldn't tell you a single thing about my drive into work this morning. 

I have the same issues. 

to the subject. dci in 2040 - close to the same with what we have now? One can only hope changes come that make sense and add to the activity. But lets not get carried away? :help:

Symphony's and Chamber Orchestras have managed for a very long time. :doh:

Corps will have 100 guard members on the field. All instrumentation will come from the front ensemble. One favorite audience game will be guessing if it's a synth instrument or if they can find the soloist at the microphone.

All events will be livestreamed as Blu-ray will be non-existent. Digital copies will only exist in the DCI libraries as sync right fees become unobtainable.

5 hours ago, OldSnareDrummer said:

The Godfather will be retired with more time on his hands and have a staggering 3 million posts. :worthy:

retire? only if they force me. I love my job most days, and not being here means i'll be at home with a honey do list

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, cixelsyd said:

Woodwinds will be allowed (that is coming long before 2040).  At the insistence of manufacturer "sponsors", they will not remain limited to solo use for long.

DCA will allow woodwinds two years after DCI does.  Two years after that, DCA will fold.

There will be fewer corps and fewer fans.  But with proportionately fewer events, the stands will appear just as populated.

Finals will be held at whatever Lucas Oil Stadium's name has changed to.  Some time around 2040, delays in construction of the next new Indianapolis stadium will force DCI to return to LOS for one more year.

Jetpacks will not be allowed, as they are contrary to member safety emphasis.

Four of the current top six will still be in the top six.

you think DCA will make it to 2040? Bold soul you are

6 minutes ago, Western Burger said:

Blu-ray will be non-existent. 

Isn't this the case already? Also, does DCI not offer digital versions of finals or they still stuck on physical discs? If that's the case they are way behind the times and losing a good bit in revenue.