Muncie, IN - Friday, June 28, 2019

24 minutes ago, Newseditor44 said:

Y’all know I’m a Crown homer,  but this was highly sarcastic.

But I also call things as I see them. The last two years I’ve preached that Crown had issues. I don’t think that’s the case this season. Great overall package, much better GE integrated into the show. And plenty of room to grow. BD and SCV have left the door open just a bit, but the Bluecoats are worthy opponents. 

So who wins this year? That’s easy to answer, it’s the fans. There is a large list of highly entertaining programs this season. 

#### fans.  They win every year. *grumble*

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

The thing is, when all six meet up, it's more likely the spread between 1st and 6th is going to be more like 4 points. At the exact same night last year, these were the scores (different shows of course):

1. 76.40 Bluecoats 

2. 75.55 Crown

2. 75.55 Vanguard*

4. 74.30 Cavaliers

5. 73.80 Boston (2.6 down from Bluecoats)

* Insert Blue Devils between Vanguard and Cavies. This looked like we had got a dog fight on our hands. It looked like it was anyones game. Only it wasn't. It never was. It's not this year either.

As soon as they started meeting up, this is what happened:

• At San Antonio, Vanguard was in 1st more than 4 points ahead of Boston, who was in 6th.
  • Vanguard was steamrolling to the title and went unchallenged.
  • The top 3 were firmly in front of Crown, Cavies and BAC, and their position in the top 3 was never at risk.
  • Bluecoats went undefeated until July 15th when they met up with BD.
  • Bluecoats only managed to beat the Blue Devils once (before San Antonio).
  • Bluecoats never beat Vanguard.
  • Blue Devils did not beat Vanguard (after the third show of the season).
  • Boston never beat Crown (they tied once), Bluecoats, Blue Devils or Vanguard.
  • Crown never beat Bluecoats, Devils or Vanguard.
  • Cavies never beat Bluecoats, Crown, Vanguard or Blue Devils.
  • The order of the placements of the top 4 in San Antonio held exactly the same through finals.
  • The only change in the top 6 between San Antonio and finals was Boston passing the Cavies.

We are going to see the exact same thing this year. This is just not going to be a 6 man race for the title. It just isn't. It never was and it never will be. On July 5th, Bluecoats meet up with Cavies and Vanguard. We will see, on that night, where everyone stands, now that we will have a link between what's happening in the east and the west. 

IMHO .. when I saw the SCV show last year, even at the preview. It was obviously a pretty special show. Just all the pieces and parts were working .. one of those shows that put it all together. Same with BD Metamorph.  Same with Bloo Downside Up   .. even E=MC2 was “that” show.

I don’t sense that kind of show is out there this year so maybe the competition is a little more open ... 

But ... it tends to go as you outlined  

• Like 1

Would agree with the assessment above that there is an intangible “compelling” factor that elevates one above the rest...we saw it in 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 17, 18; though in my view SCV’s is merely an extension of Cavies now, so much so they may as well just merge. 

I saw a video of SCV ‘19 last night and will watch again on Flo tonite but I cannot get past SCV playing a nearly 30 year old Metallica tune; all that’s missing is frontman James Hetfield’s vocal trademark “ooorawarr!” he seemingly adds to every lyric. Nothing is compelling about it; it just “is”. Blue Stars and Crown are marching miles more worth of drill though the straight leg for BS looks like scuffing (I like to use the technical term “shoofing” on my Viz tapes) on the high cam due to the fur top things.

Glossary:

Shoofing (“shoe fing”) adverb...the sound and walking technique adopted when you slip on a pair of bunny or Pikachu slippers that are two sizes too large, and attempt to walk across thick carpet in them.

Edited by TRacer
Technical definition added for clarity

3 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

But I also call things as I see them. The last two years I’ve preached that Crown had issues. I don’t think that’s the case this season. Great overall package, much better GE integrated into the show. And plenty of room to grow. BD and SCV have left the door open just a bit, but the Bluecoats are worthy opponents. 

So who wins this year? That’s easy to answer, it’s the fans. There is a large list of highly entertaining programs this season. 

My apologies for missing the intent of your original post. And I agree... Fans win this year!

3 hours ago, Incognito365 said:

Boy, that went over your head...

Admittedly yes... clearly this was a response to something else... my bad.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Newseditor44 said:

I can confirm Newseditor was extremely pessimistic about this show in the off-season (far more than he's letting on ).  Not a fan who pulls punches when evaluating show-and-tells at camps!!!!  It's been fun to watch the performers and design change minds 🙂

4 hours ago, BWise said:

IMHO .. when I saw the SCV show last year, even at the preview. It was obviously a pretty special show. Just all the pieces and parts were working .. one of those shows that put it all together. Same with BD Metamorph.  Same with Bloo Downside Up   .. even E=MC2 was “that” show.

I don’t sense that kind of show is out there this year so maybe the competition is a little more open ... 

But ... it tends to go as you outlined  

Yeah, you could be right. I'm not sold on Vanguard this year. Crown was so magnificent last night. So much power, energy and sheer command. I don't think I've seen that from anyone this year. I could very well soon find myself wanting Crown to win it all this year. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, queenanne_1536 said:

Yeah, you could be right. I'm not sold on Vanguard this year. Crown was so magnificent last night. So much power, energy and sheer command. I don't think I've seen that from anyone this year. I could very well soon find myself wanting Crown to win it all this year. 

I really think Crown's design team has gotten it right this year.  And the performers have clearly embraced it.  Fun to watch things clicking.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, karuna said:

I really think Crown's design team has gotten it right this year.  And the performers have clearly embraced it.  Fun to watch things clicking.

I'll be honest, I want Vanguard to win every year, but I was so completely blown away by what I saw with Crown last night. The actual movement while playing difficult passages, the drill is very musical, kaleidoscopic, energetic, and just exciting. The two takeaways from last night is that two corps (Blue Stars and Crown) are tackling difficult passages while performing difficult drill. I haven't seen that from anyone else this year (a bit from Cavies and Boston, but not to the level of Stars and Crown). I have a feeling this Crown show is just going to be pure magic come finals. It almost was last night. Definitely the first time I was blown away this season.

The more and more I watch Vanguard's show the more and more I think they might have missed the mark this year. It seems like there is really no variation in the tempo of the show. It's a moderate tempo, then the slow tempo ballad, then a moderate tempo, then the slow closer. I really thought the closer was just going to ignite the atmosphere, like last year's did, but it doesn't. It's actually my favorite part of the show, so that says it all right there. This show really needs a moment where the music and visuals and drill are just fireworks. As of yet, it's not there. I also think it's lacking visually as of right now. I LOVE what they are doing with the guard this year - to me there is a lot more synchronized flag work and the flags have a bigger presence this year. I think they will be fighting Boston for best guard, they will probably win best percussion, and could very well win brass, but will that be enough? I don't know.

I'm growing concerned with this years Vanguard show, and I certainly wasn't the least bit concerned the past two years. Of course, I'll have to give it time - there's no telling right now how much of this show is in skeletal form. 

Vanguard is and will always be my #1, but beyond that I'm just a fan of the activity and I want the best corps and best show to win. 

Edited by queenanne_1536