Allentown, PA - Friday, June 28, 2019

8 hours ago, Amazed&Stunned said:

To compare across shows is not reasonable tonight. 

The top guard number in Allentown was a 16.2; the top guard number in Muncie was a 14.5

The top visual ensemble number in Allentown was a 16.3. The top visual ensemble number in Muncie was a 15.1

The numbers are really not comparable. 

To compare Crown's number to the Cadets is not a wise choice. Comparing Cadets to Boston and Bluecoats is the only thing you can do

Everyone knows this.  It was a tongue in cheek comment 

11 hours ago, Den8uml said:

And ok BAC percussion does have an issue!! Two shows in a row with different judges means something. 

When the pre season videos came out showing their field percussion section, several posters were impressed with their “book” and talent.  Early content scores were higher than corps who now are getting higher content results.  Please educate me.  Thanks.

11 minutes ago, Ghost said:

When the pre season videos came out showing their field percussion section, several posters were impressed with their “book” and talent.  Early content scores were higher than corps who now are getting higher content results.  Please educate me.  Thanks.

Im a guard person with some brass experience.  The percussion all look great to me HAhaha so I have no clue.  Just going off the numbers.  

Cadets are just really strong in percussion, I don't think Boston Crusaders have an urgent percussion problem.  Ten snares will take a little longer to clean, but other than that there are not any big red flags to me. Both have great lines.  That caption is so deep anymore you can place 8th or 9th and still have a wildly impressive line.  I'm sure with some more cleaning they'll be just fine.  :)

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DrumManTx said:

Cadets are just really strong in percussion, I don't think Boston Crusaders have an urgent percussion problem.  Ten snares will take a little longer to clean, but other than that there are not any big red flags to me. Both have great lines.  That caption is so deep anymore you can place 8th or 9th and still have a wildly impressive line.  I'm sure with some more cleaning they'll be just fine.  🙂

That makes sense but the spread is so huge. If they were really strong, they would be beat but with less of a spread.  Unfortunately for BAC, the guard advantage is more than wiped out by the percussion scores in the  last two. But hey, weren’t they in 12th just 3 seasons ago. I’m just being picky. 😉

12 hours ago, exitmusic said:

Agreed, but if I had stopped you on a street corner on June 28, 1999 and said, "Hey, 20 years from tonight, the Bluecoats will five-point the Cadets at their home show," you'd have laughed in my face.

What a world

And if you went back 20 years to 1979, no one would have predicted that in four years Cadets would have won their first of three titles which was the beginning of their being the first corps to three-peat. In 1979 no one would have predicted Cavies rise either. In 1979 the Boston Crusaders were inevitably going to fold. 27th Lancers was the corps that had staying power. So too did North Star, Guardsmen, and Bridgemen. I doubt lost of folks thought 1979 would be the last time Blue Stars made finals and they would not return until the next millennium. 

Though who will be in the top is predictable, it’s not stagnant. Blue Devils have placed in the Top Five every year since 1975, most years in the Top Three, but in the late 80’s/early 90’s, it was expected Star would do what BD has done. SCV has placed as low as eighth, and a few years back with different staff and leadership, people spoke of SCV being innovative and a powerhouse, but not contenders.

Though in general drum corps is predictable, things do change a bit from year to year.