Bush 2019

sorry - my inside voice plopping out, disappointed that (collective) we don't have all that much to discuss on the all age side anymore......just 'spiders and snakes'.

hope you are all safe from all the rain - insane weather this year, I am not looking forward to the start of the hurricane train

carry on!

26 minutes ago, JohnZ said:

sorry - my inside voice plopping out, disappointed that (collective) we don't have all that much to discuss on the all age side anymore......just 'spiders and snakes'.

hope you are all safe from all the rain - insane weather this year, I am not looking forward to the start of the hurricane train

carry on!

Be safe, man. Never liked high winds.

10 hours ago, JohnZ said:

welcome to Floriduh.  all of these plus corals, pythons...bees, ants....alligators, sharks.  pretty much everything here wants to either poison you or eat you...everything except for the tourists - I think.

Coral snakes - fairly docile and very pretty reptile.  caught one that got in to our pool enclosure a few years ago.  hated to dispatch him, but entirely too close to the family and pets.

you all do remind me of many animals and reptiles we encountered over the many years on the practice and competition fields - thankfully I don't recall anyone getting hurt from the encounters, they just added to the drum corps story.

Speaking of which - are we done talking about Bush 2019?  ....asking for a friend.....

Thanks for reminding me why I tolerate winter up north (except for two weeks in February in Indian Shores).

5 hours ago, BigW said:

Not much to talk about considering that the show was rained out, John and that they were incomplete at Milton. It appears some people who joined the board recently enjoy idle speculation and ginning up false hype and think the DCA side of the board acts the same as the DCI side of the board.

As always, great to see you in Landisville, W!!! 

And a terrific lunch and beers at Mad Chef. That place is the real deal. The coffee stout was outstanding. Thanks for the ride to the pub.

One upside to not working DCA shows anymore... a craft brew or two pre-show is now in play.  :tongue: That was off limits for me when doing gigs.  

Sucks for everyone that the weather didn't cooperate.

Edited by Fran Haring

16 hours ago, BigW said:

Be safe, man. Never liked high winds.

for the most part they are nonevents, so far.  the potential for severe destruction is very narrow, mostly an inconvenience as they restore what utilities may be affected.  we live in an area where most of the utilities are buried.

Have the first potential storm developing in the Gulf this week, up to 70% likelihood of development - strangely from a weather front coming from the north....as I said, very odd weather this year.

11 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

As always, great to see you in Landisville, W!!! 

And a terrific lunch and beers at Mad Chef. That place is the real deal. The coffee stout was outstanding. Thanks for the ride to the pub.

One upside to not working DCA shows anymore... a craft brew or two pre-show is now in play.  :tongue: That was off limits for me when doing gigs.  

Sucks for everyone that the weather didn't cooperate.

one of those 'then v now' things, but I remember many a show that went on despite the weather.  I've lost one or both shoes in a mud bog on the field, watched funnel clouds pass overhead, saw lightning strike the light poles, and played in total deluges where you couldn't see the stands, and vice versa.....God we were total idiots back then!

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

one of those 'then v now' things, but I remember many a show that went on despite the weather.  I've lost one or both shoes in a mud bog on the field, watched funnel clouds pass overhead, saw lightning strike the light poles, and played in total deluges where you couldn't see the stands, and vice versa.....God we were total idiots back then!

In 2005 with CV in Ocala (or maybe Orlando....it was in Florida and began with an "O." It was the SE championships show,) the skies pretty much opened up from the opening whistle. It was a slosh fest. It didn't help that it was about 90 degress with 100000% humidity either. That was the trip that our unis didn't get cleaned from the previous show and had been "marinating" in the little pull behind trailer we had all the way from Lawrenceville to Ocala. They were pretty ripe when the trailer was opened. The rain made everyone smell like wet dog. Fun show though lol.

Edited by Weaklefthand4ever

1 hour ago, JohnZ said:

Exactly. Times have changed!!!

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but one infamous show  I remember was the 1979 Brick, NJ, DCA show.  Rain, lightning, and thunder... but even though it was turned into an exhibition instead of a judged contest, the show went on.  Absolutely nuts. When the Westshoremen were on, several stadium lights burst.  You could see the sparks. Really scary stuff.

Edited by Fran Haring

3 hours ago, Fran Haring said:

Exactly. Times have changed!!!

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, but one infamous show  I remember was the 1979 Brick, NJ, DCA show.  Rain, lightning, and thunder... but even though it was turned into an exhibition instead of a judged contest, the show went on.  Absolutely nuts. When the Westshoremen were on, several stadium lights burst.  You could see the sparks. Really scary stuff.

I will jump in as discussing member safety. As Fran knows BigW and I were in that show with mentioned Westshoremen. Lighting was tempories on top of long poles and base weighed down by something. With the wind they were swaying so hard can’t believe none toppled. Middle of concert number light behind the DM had the major issue. Either a bulb or glass cover popped off and landed few feet behind the DM. If light had been closer to the sideline or swaying differently it would have landed on his head. Landed behind but loud enough he heard it hit as we saw him jump and turn around. And this was while while Corps was playing so imagine the noise it made.

Surprised no one mentioned the flash flood warnings during the Landisville show. Friend in county next to Landisville reported 1/2 inch in a short time period

Edited by JimF-LowBari

1 hour ago, JimF-LowBari said:

I will jump in as discussing member safety. As Fran knows BigW and I were in that show with mentioned Westshoremen. Lighting was tempories on top of long poles and base weighed down by something. With the wind they were swaying so hard can’t believe none toppled. Middle of concert number light behind the DM had the major issue. Either a bulb or glass cover popped off and landed few feet behind the DM. If light had been closer to the sideline or swaying differently it would have landed on his head. Landed behind but loud enough he heard it hit as we saw him jump and turn around. And this was while while Corps was playing so imagine the noise it made.

Surprised no one mentioned the flash flood warnings during the Landisville show. Friend in county next to Landisville reported 1/2 inch in a short time period

No member Safety in 2006 during Ernesto at Semi Finals. I remember the words coming down from DCA that the show will go on no matter what and marching in the middle of Hurricane Ernesto. Our DM Almost got blown of the podium 4 or 5 times. It was really NOT a safe thing to do. They could have just given us a phone in score like they did anyways.