Madison Scouts Judges Debrief

Sorry if this is not what you are asking, or something you already know. I assume the judges are telling them the written show and performance levels match the criteria/descriptions for scoring in the middle of box 3 (50 to 69 points). That box uses the word "usually" to describe the current overall efforts of the writers and performers. The ___________ is "usually" displayed, but not consistently (the word for box 4), and never "always" (the over-arching word for scoring in box 5, the top scoring range). Creatively, there may be a percussion phrase, use of electronic color, etc. that has not been used in the activity before, but all else we have heard in some way. Visually, not sure there is any staging effort, movement that we have not seen in some way before, and in many cases in Madison's 2019 show, seen a lot over the past 30 years. The uniform and silks are unique to this show, but do they work well? how well? The chosen tempos and pacing of tempos and orchestration both musically and visually is generally slow. Does everything have to be fast-paced to score well? Of course not, but something slow (say Crown's ballad this year) must be in large contrast to the things around it, and the "slow" itself has to be captivating the entire time ("always") to possibly positively affect scoring. To be more straight forward, the show has some Madison-esque moments that I assume we all appreciate, but the show is largely predictable throughout and currently not being performed well in any consistent basis for sustained periods of time. All my best to them.