Lawrence, MA - Saturday, June 29, 2019

1 hour ago, Algernon said:

BAC Alumnus judged percussion

So what are you insinuating about a former 27th Lancer staffer and long time DCI judge?  Are you saying something about his integrity? Because had been with Boston nearly 50 years ago he’d favor Boston by having them 3rd?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Can’t imagine walking into a crash course of music and drill with a top six corps.  We wish them our best.

47 minutes ago, CorpwithanS said:

What a giant! Welcome and Good Luck to the new tenor! May the tenor that had to leave heal well and fast,

Seems that the new tenor is a DCI vet, has had the music for awhile, and may be in a show before SA.  Seems like Boston followed the 7 P’s in this situation.

• Thanks 2

37 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

Au contraire cappybarelyknowanything.  Maybe someone is nervous in the south land?

South land?

19 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

So what are you insinuating about a former 27th Lancer staffer and long time DCI judge?  Are you saying something about his integrity? Because had been with Boston nearly 50 years ago he’d favor Boston by having them 3rd?  

... and welcome to DCP, Algernon.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, craiga said:

True..the narrative some folks are pushing right now is that the east coast scores are inflated.  But are they really?  This scoring trend actually began at Detroit and continued through Ohio and PA....perhaps the eastern corps (inc BLOO) really are that strong....?

We'll find out very soon 

13 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

We'll find out very soon 

IMO they are about 0.5 pts higher than the peers in the MW they've competed with . We have no way of knowing if Bloo/Boston/Cadets have just improved half a point faster

I'm basing this on the gap between Cadets & Blue Stars increasing about a half point or so as they headed different directions

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craiga said:

Some thoughts about last night's show.....

Despite the local weather forecasters literally predicting doom and gloom with thunder, lightning, hail and sideways rain, it was sunny 75 degrees and bright blue, cloudless skies at showtime.  A record breaking 3300 people made it into the stands despite the inept weathermen.  I was only in the stadium for the final three corps so that is what I will comment on.  

Cadets:  Wow! HUUUUGE improvement since the movie theatre.  Every aspect was a marked improvement. The guard book now seems complete to me and performance levels (even of the new stuff) were excellent.  They are now starting to march and look like the Cadets.  The drum line actually moves better than the hornline.   A couple guys in BAC's drumline told me the percussion numbers at this point are probably correct in that Cadets do have a smoking line which is very clean.  They edged Boston again tonight in percussion performance.  Everyone should know that the Boston crowd gave Cadets a thunderous standing ovation at the end of their show.  I'm still not convinced they need to go after the queen like that...but now it has morphed into several female guard members tearing off her wig.  This still may be a bit too literal but that's just me.  All in all though, this was a great night for the Cadets.

Bluecoats:  I'll say it again..I love this music.  BLOO was excellent in every way again.  Even though I was a horn player back when I was alive, I'm not really qualified to judge brass lines of this level. Having said that, it feels to me like they are extremely clean (as is the case with their visual program as well).  Not sure where they go from here, but the show is really entertaining.   There were a couple vertical linear sets which were fuzzy but easily cleanable. This corps marches really well when they choose to march.  I'll just leave that there. Another electric performance and standing ovation from the crowd.

Boston: It wasn't that long ago when BAC probably would not have preferred to follow BLOO on the field.  Not so anymore.  They were also on fire tonight.  With the exception of a handful of rifle drops very early in the show, this performance was off the charts.  BAC was every bit as loud, exciting and edge of your seat as the Bluecoats.  The Gino hornline is absolutely taking hold.  The guard was amazing, and that 10 man snareline is incredible.  GOLIATH is used much more in the show in terms of interacting with the horn line visuals, and the "My Shot" quotes from Hamilton have been scaled back.  The herald trumpet/trombone feature is a gas and the choreography in the ballad is either new or I didn't notice it in the movie theatre.  This is the best corps to ever come out of Boston without a doubt.  Btw, as an aside, the center snare is a two year vet who is from Everett, MA...about 15 minutes from the show site.

This was a great show all around. Boston did a brief encore of "With a little help from your friends" and "Conquest"...and yeah, the audience still goes nuts for that.  A beautiful night and extremely well run show.  Great night for the activity.

I'm waiting to hear Giant during an encore.

• Like 1

I think it may have been an abbreviated encore, with the showrunners watching the weather apps.  When I left the show, I had only gotten 15 minutes away (Amesbury)  when I encountered the aforementioned  thunderstorms with sideways rain.  Yikes!  We really did luck out on the weather!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, CorpwithanS said:

What a giant! Welcome and Good Luck to the new tenor! May the tenor that had to leave heal well and fast,

I know some corps have a few back ups for brass /guard.  Does anyone have a back up snare for snare/quad injuries?

9 minutes ago, Ghost said:

I know some corps have a few back ups for brass /guard.  Does anyone have a back up snare for snare/quad injuries?

I don’t think any corps carry percussion alternate