Lawrence, MA - Saturday, June 29, 2019

8 hours ago, craiga said:

I think it may have been an abbreviated encore, with the showrunners watching the weather apps.  When I left the show, I had only gotten 15 minutes away (Amesbury)  when I encountered the aforementioned  thunderstorms with sideways rain.  Yikes!  We really did luck out on the weather!

Could be.  We had no weather problems to the west, but I could see lightning in the rearview mirror.

54 minutes ago, George Dixon said:

conquest - if this has already been posted I apologize

Love watching Josh's face after the Conquest grunts and scream.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, George Dixon said:

conquest - if this has already been posted

Random honest question... this video is great! I’ve only heard USC marching band perform this, I think it’s been one of their standards since the 40s/50s... my question is the story behind its origin and when/how BAC adopted it. 

6 minutes ago, F15_22 said:

Random honest question... this video is great! I’ve only heard USC marching band perform this, I think it’s been one of their standards since the 40s/50s... my question is the story behind its origin and when/how BAC adopted it. 

Conquest

The Boston Crusaders first performed Alfred Newman's "Conquest" from the 1947 swashbuckling motion picture, Captain From Castille in 1969 and repeated it in 1970. The corps brought the tune back in 1973 & '74, then performed it as a part of their show in every year from 1976 through 1990. Since then, "Conquest" had become a signature piece for the Crusaders even so far as including a two measure quote called the "conquest shots", six unison and high dynamic notes, in various forms throughout the corps' shows. Fans and alumni of the corps take the shots as their cue to fill in the two rests with a shouted "HUH!"

Longer, extended quotes from "Conquest" have also commonly been heard in shows as recently as 2008's Neocosmos, 2010's Thy Kingdom Come, 2013's Rise, 2014's Animal Farm, and specially in the corps' 75th anniversary show Conquest in 2015.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Crusaders_Drum_and_Bugle_Corps

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, CorpwithanS said:

Conquest

The Boston Crusaders first performed Alfred Newman's "Conquest" from the 1947 swashbuckling motion picture, Captain From Castille in 1969 and repeated it in 1970. The corps brought the tune back in 1973 & '74, then performed it as a part of their show in every year from 1976 through 1990. Since then, "Conquest" had become a signature piece for the Crusaders even so far as including a two measure quote called the "conquest shots", six unison and high dynamic notes, in various forms throughout the corps' shows. Fans and alumni of the corps take the shots as their cue to fill in the two rests with a shouted "HUH!"

Longer, extended quotes from "Conquest" have also commonly been heard in shows as recently as 2008's Neocosmos, 2010's Thy Kingdom Come, 2013's Rise, 2014's Animal Farm, and specially in the corps' 75th anniversary show Conquest in 2015.[11]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Crusaders_Drum_and_Bugle_Corps

I was at that show as an audience member. what a shame they had to remove the bells. They had a great percussion show with them. I saw them a few times that season, as I was in a Garden State Circuit corps, and on off-dates we'd go to the class A shows in my area.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, MikeD said:

I was at that show as an audience member. what a shame they had to remove the bells. They had a great percussion show with them. I saw them a few times that season, as I was in a Garden State Circuit corps, and on off-dates we'd go to the class A shows in my area.

Formative and happy times, Mike. Cheers.

19 minutes ago, MikeD said:

Jim was there, too.  

He can’t remember diddlysquat when I ask him to do something around here but he remembers the soprano solo in opener. And the cool sticking in drum solo.

Edited by Terri Schehr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, George Dixon said:

conquest - if this has already been posted I apologize

Their all-time classic signature.  Fantastic!!!

21 minutes ago, Terri Schehr said:

Jim was there, too.  

He can’t remember diddlysquat when I ask him to do something around here but he remembers the soprano solo in opener. And the cool sticking in drum solo.

That solo was great...saw it live a times. Note that due to the Cadence caption, the corps had to march through the 7/8 in "Unsquare Dance" as though it was 4/4 keeping the tempo consistent throughout.

Was Jim marching with the Kilties (VFW winners) in 69?