Pasadena, CA - Saturday, June 29, 2019

Just now, jordsterr said:

I would have agreed an hour ago.  I know I'm listening on the internet and trying to compare with Crown live.  Nevertheless, I was so impressed just now. Of course, Crown does it while running and gunning, so there's that.

True. Spacial demand is also a large part of judging brass, Cadets 2015 proved that.

• Like 1

I'm about as big a Vanguard fan as there is. My daughter is named after Gail Royer. I wear the 92 Vanguard tour shirt to finals every year.

That said....Vanguard does not march and play. At all. If bodies are moving on the field battery/pit/soloist/small ensembles are playing. It was bad last year, it's worse this year. They sound unbelievable. They should. They are standing still.

My enjoyment of the show is ruined, because I spend the whole time checking to see if anyone is moving and playing. I try to ignore it, but I'm a visual guy. That's what I do...I clean feet.

Z

Missing Pete Webber.

• Like 8

i love phantoms rendition of this song

• Like 1

1 minute ago, trumpetcam said:

Tone color isn't on the judging sheet. Judges can't score their favorite sounding hornline higher, its about the criteria and how each hornline fits within that criteria. 

And I'd still say Crown wins it. This year they are firing all cylinders with one of the most musically challenging books since Relentless.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Triple Forte said:

I was viewing and listening via the Internet but you can tell that SCV’s hornline  is executing well, I have to say though a lot of their brass arrangements are block parts not overly complicated in my opinion. 

So they're playing two of the most difficult brass band pieces in the repertoire and they aren't playing anything but block parts? It's an incredibly hard book, they just make it sound easier right now than other groups. Thats talent, teaching and hard work. Crown does the same thing. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Den8uml said:

With a spread of 1.5 between Boston and Bloo that would be tough.  I realize it changes when they all are together but realistically that would mean 6 corps above 96 at finals 

The last busses from military park to Lucas will be BD and BAC on finals night .

SCV is so good but I see more potential design, music and overall evolution to BDs show. Ghostlight feels like it has more wiggle room the grow. 

• Like 2