Total rewrites?

I remember this happening more back in the 80’s and 90’s, but have there been any shows in more modern drum corps where there has been a total rewrite of a show or at least part of a show/song more recently? Even to the point of ditching a song and replacing with another one? Just curious.

If I remember right, didn't Glassmen (rip, please come back) scrap Panis Angelicus in 2009 midseason? I vaguely remember hearing it in Atlanta, but that may be some weird Mandela Effect.

12 minutes ago, FaustianMachine said:

If I remember right, didn't Glassmen (rip, please come back) scrap Panis Angelicus in 2009 midseason? I vaguely remember hearing it in Atlanta, but that may be some weird Mandela Effect.

Yep, that happened. It was also the third show draft of that year, and that ballad survived about one week on tour before the decision was made to replace it. We didn't learn it until we got to Georgia.

Edited by hornandsoccer
clarity
  • Like 1

1976 Madison is probably the biggest re-write.  The original "Disco Show" was not scoring in a way befitting the defending DCI Champion, so they pulled out of abt 2 weeks of show mid-season & ditched the whole show (except a drum solo).  New show was opener of "Stars & Stripes Forever", with the rest new material being a rehash of the previous years champion show.

The finished 2nd at DCI (no one was beating Blue Devils that year).

I think the last few years Hopkins was at Cadets is the best example of wholesale, mid season rewrites from recent years. Most notably Stoned (or whatever that show ended up being titled), and Faithful Fallen Forgiven, which actually turned out to be a pretty neat show the last two weeks of the season —- but not without major “burn it all down” rewrites while on tour.

• Like 1

In 2013, the Crossmen had "Some Nights" by fun. in their show, but they removed it by the end of the season.

Edited by barigirl78

1 hour ago, oldbandguy said:

"Great Gig in the Sky" was ballad #3 for Bloo in 2016, but that was determined during Spring Training...and the rest, as they say, is history.

Out of curiosity, what were 1 and 2?

I heard Chandelier by Sia was one of them.

Didn't Cadets change their 1990 opener from "Prelude Fugue and Riffs" to "Overture to Candide" after the season had started.  I remember someone telling me at Finals in 1991 when discussing their show that they had tried doing it the year before, but changed because it wasn't working.  Don't know if this is true or not..... Can anyone confirm that?