Total rewrites?

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

I recall the BD on the East Coast early one year, wasn’t doing well, and they flew home the designers to make major changes.  That may not fit  the period the OP has in mind.

I remember this to be the case.  They ended up second.  I remember a mom of one of the members posting on Soundmachine that her son was in BD and the manner in which they moved to change it was amazing to him.  He had previously marched BK but after not making finals in '01- auditioned for BD.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jake W. said:

I think the last few years Hopkins was at Cadets is the best example of wholesale, mid season rewrites from recent years. Most notably Stoned (or whatever that show ended up being titled), and Faithful Fallen Forgiven, which actually turned out to be a pretty neat show the last two weeks of the season —- but not without major “burn it all down” rewrites while on tour.

Who is Hopkins?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, bluesman said:

Didn't Cadets change their 1990 opener from "Prelude Fugue and Riffs" to "Overture to Candide" after the season had started.  I remember someone telling me at Finals in 1991 when discussing their show that they had tried doing it the year before, but changed because it wasn't working.  Don't know if this is true or not..... Can anyone confirm that?

In 1990 they were planning a Mass show, but changed it during winter camps to "Bernstein Celebration" w/ Candide and Somewhere. Some of the Mass material survived as the 2nd piece.

I've been told that in 1986 they considered PF&R as the closer, but I don't know if they actually rehearsed it. I think On the Waterfront + PF&R would've made an absolutely amazing music book.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I could be wrong.........but didn't BD re-write their 2002 show in the middle of the season? Can anyone with more knowledge speak on that?

Oh yeah, I remember having a recording that year that was posted to Audio Galaxy from their first show. Very different.

• Thanks 1

2009 Phantom had a LOT of changes, always felt for that corps that year as they had to learn so many versions of that show that season

4 hours ago, FTNK said:

Maybe Cadets this year

Maybe you can add something of substance to the conversation, instead of just plain negativity?

4 hours ago, Chief Guns said:

I could be wrong.........but didn't BD re-write their 2002 show in the middle of the season? Can anyone with more knowledge speak on that?

Yep. They started the major rewrites when they got back to northern California after the east coast leg of the tour.

The Channel One Suite and ending rewrites took place the two days before Murfreesboro.

Edited by dcsnare93
  • Thanks 1

Not a total re-write (kept the same music arrangement) but we scrapped all the drill for Russian Christmas in 05. Pretty late too, if I remember correctly. I want to say early/mid July.

Didn’t help much.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Who is Hopkins?

giphy.gif

• Thanks 1