What happened to Madison?

Without reading a year's worth of posts,what really is going on with the Scouts?

Their scores are so low, and there is very little video of them.  They are getting beat by Corps that historically never matched up, and by a wide margin.

With fewer World Class corps even operating, it can't be a talent pool issue.

On the west coast it is tough to see what is happening.  Any reports?

2 minutes ago, adman said:

Without reading a year's worth of posts,what really is going on with the Scouts?

Their scores are so low, and there is very little video of them.  They are getting beat by Corps that historically never matched up, and by a wide margin.

With fewer World Class corps even operating, it can't be a talent pool issue.

On the west coast it is tough to see what is happening.  Any reports?

No...it can still be a talent pool issue.  There's a big difference if a corps has an average age of 20 and 3 years DCI experience vs a corps with an average age of 18 and 0 DCI experience.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, oldbandguy said:

No...it can still be a talent pool issue.  There's a big difference if a corps has an average age of 20 and 3 years DCI experience vs a corps with an average age of 18 and 0 DCI experience.

You're right - talent is absolutely part of the problem. They are a feeder corps now. People go there to get a year or two under their belt in World Class then move on, unfortunately. 

Guys I really am not trolling.  There really is little info online via video so I can't see this year's show.  It is an organization with such a rich history. While I thought last year's show was awful,  I thought they had a whole new team.  I would think the Madison name would still mean something to people wanting to march and they would be able to get top talent.  Seriously, why such low scores?

29 minutes ago, Ghost said:

Hope your not a troll.  But, since you haven’t taken the time to at least read the Scouts 2019 thread, ............

The thread is crazy long ,I am trying to understand the key issues without the commentaries.  I can't find show video to form my own opinion, and honestly not trolling.

I think it's fair to say the talent problem goes far beyond the members at this point.  If you aren't drawing upper echelon talent into your membership pool, you likely aren't drawing it into your staff/design team either. Throw that in the mix with an administration that refuses to believe they're part of the problem and  you have a perfect storm.  But, what do I know.  

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, queenanne_1536 said:

You're right - talent is absolutely part of the problem. They are a feeder corps now. People go there to get a year or two under their belt in World Class then move on, unfortunately. 

Since this is a competitive environment I have no issues with Open Class being utilized as a feeder system. However, since this is a competitive environment I have a huge issue with World Class corps being used as feeders. That is why I am for some sort of a World Class to World Class red-shirt type system.

Academic sports won't allow NCAA Div I players to direct transfer year to year without a penilty, and major league sports have a waiting period before free agency is allowed.

Perform one year with (open class corps) then go to Blue Devils; fine. Perform one year with Madison and desire to go to Blue Devils, do the next year with (open class corps) or sit out a year, then go to Blue Devils.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Since this is a competitive environment I have no issues with Open Class being utilized as a feeder system. However, since this is a competitive environment I have a huge issue with World Class corps being used as feeders. That is why I am for some sort of a World Class to World Class red-shirt type system.

Academic sports won't allow NCAA Div I players to direct transfer year to year without a penilty, and major league sports have a waiting period before free agency is allowed.

Perform one year with (open class corps) then go to Blue Devils; fine. Perform one year with Madison and desire to go to Blue Devils, do the next year with (open class corps) or sit out a year, then go to Blue Devils.

I guess DCI could vote in a rule that accomplished this, but WHO is going to propose it and WHO is going to vote for it...certainly not any top 12 corps I'm guessing.  I would also point out the huge difference between a NCAA player, getting full tuition, room and board, and major league sports where millions are paid vs DCI where THE MEMBERS PAY TO PLAY.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1