What happened to Madison?

1 hour ago, adman said:

Guys I really am not trolling.  There really is little info online via video so I can't see this year's show.  It is an organization with such a rich history. While I thought last year's show was awful,  I thought they had a whole new team.  I would think the Madison name would still mean something to people wanting to march and they would be able to get top talent.  Seriously, why such low scores?

The kids marching in today's DCI were born, on average, in the year 2001.  That means they joined their competitive school band/guard programs around the year 2014.  That's not a very long "history span."  

• Like 4

DCI has spent the past 2 years deflecting responsibility with issues of abuse by staff in corps  saying " ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ welp, we just can't do anything to regulate individual corps or infringe on their autonomy on a scale like that , derpity derp  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯".

I'm sure they'd be right on top of this suggestion. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, BozzlyB said:

Where was your call for this lil red shirt program when Scouts were top 5 and corps like Colts were losing members to them hand over fist. Madison has to do the hard work of being a competitively desirable drum corps to march in again, and the game shouldn't be changed just because they're the corps in the tough spot.  

Could you imagine the nuclear fallout on DCP if BD was to fall from grace, struggle to make finals than cry for a redshirt program to retain the members they have? 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

They need to stop having vague fluffy goals, like “we’re developing leaders” or “we’re just out to please the crowd”. Both of those sound admirable, but are not measurable. I say put those as byproducts, but make your top goal winning. The current admin brags that the Scouts are unique in building leaders....which Corp does not build leaders??? You’re telling me that the winningest Corps - the Blue Devils - is not building leaders? They are at least partially focused on winning and that doesn’t seem to be hindering them from training excellent youth! So Madison admin....please put more priority on building a top tier program....Because you tend to get what you aim for in life. If you say scores and placements don’t matter, you’re not aiming for anything tangible or specific.. Scott Stewart never liked to admit it, but when scores and placements were at least part of his focus, and the Corps scored a lot higher, crowd appeal was higher. Because crowds tend to react positively to high achievement......Remember that 95 show? Probably one of their cleanest ensembles ever! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, adman said:

Without reading a year's worth of posts,what really is going on with the Scouts?

Their scores are so low, and there is very little video of them.  They are getting beat by Corps that historically never matched up, and by a wide margin.

With fewer World Class corps even operating, it can't be a talent pool issue.

On the west coast it is tough to see what is happening.  Any reports?

In a nutshell, they are not scoring well.  There is debate over who / what is to blame for this.

1 hour ago, adman said:

The thread is crazy long ,I am trying to understand the key issues without the commentaries.  I can't find show video to form my own opinion, and honestly not trolling.

If you read one page, two tops, you’ve pretty much read the entire thread.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, BozzlyB said:

Where was your call for this lil red shirt program when Scouts were top 5 and corps like Colts were losing members to them hand over fist. Madison has to do the hard work of being a competitively desirable drum corps to march in again, and the game shouldn't be changed just because they're the corps in the tough spot.  

Where was my call? Well BB I have believed in this for a very long time, but, um, back then there was no internet nor DCP. It irritated me even more that loyality was starting to really wane as the new millennium came where both performers and staff were using mid to lower placing Div 1 corps as springboards to what became the World Class G7 corps.

And if you do some digging you will see that I have advocated for something like this ever since joining DCP in 2010. Including blasting the G7 for their condescending attitude and praising not only the Scouts but many other corps including the Colts! And my favorite current corps is the Mandarins!!! All I care about is the equibility within competition, the same in which all other major competitive organizations have seen as a necessity to put in place.

So pay your overdue phone bill and call someone else out who is actually guilty.

Edited by Stu

1 hour ago, JeffreyJK68 said:

They need to stop having vague fluffy goals, like “we’re developing leaders” or “we’re just out to please the crowd”. Both of those sound admirable, but are not measurable. I say put those as byproducts, but make your top goal winning. The current admin brags that the Scouts are unique in building leaders....which Corp does not build leaders??? You’re telling me that the winningest Corps - the Blue Devils - is not building leaders? They are at least partially focused on winning and that doesn’t seem to be hindering them from training excellent youth! So Madison admin....please put more priority on building a top tier program....Because you tend to get what you aim for in life. If you say scores and placements don’t matter, you’re not aiming for anything tangible or specific.. Scott Stewart never liked to admit it, but when scores and placements were at least part of his focus, and the Corps scored a lot higher, crowd appeal was higher. Because crowds tend to react positively to high achievement......Remember that 95 show? Probably one of their cleanest ensembles ever! 

"Losers always whine about doing their best. Winners go home and f### the prom queen." - John Mason (Sean Connery) from the movie The Rock.

we are a society of free agents - in this social media era, we watch and see what groups are the best right now and if we are not with that group we want to leave and join that group -- we have no loyalty -- we only want to be the best group and chase the ring -- young people are affluent enough to fly to audition camps -- why would they be loyal to a corps that is within driving distance?

Madison and Phantom are the victims of young people having available options -- why march a corps that isn't very good when you can go march a top 6 corps -- why stay with a corps while you're trying to climb the ladder?

In the end it will come down to money - why did 27th Lancers die? Why are Bluecoats ascendant? A very positive and uplifting alumni group and money.

22 minutes ago, tedrick said:

we are a society of free agents - in this social media era, we watch and see what groups are the best right now and if we are not with that group we want to leave and join that group -- we have no loyalty -- we only want to be the best group and chase the ring -- young people are affluent enough to fly to audition camps -- why would they be loyal to a corps that is within driving distance?

Madison and Phantom are the victims of young people having available options -- why march a corps that isn't very good when you can go march a top 6 corps -- why stay with a corps while you're trying to climb the ladder?

In the end it will come down to money - why did 27th Lancers die? Why are Bluecoats ascendant? A very positive and uplifting alumni group and money.

Winning does have meaning, and it tastes extremely well!! But how it was accomplished has deeper meaning.

We have developed a culture of self centered, immediate gratification, no loyality to anyone or anything other than self promotion, riding on the sacraficial backs of others who got the organization there in the first place, all for a chunk of medal and a ring; and lost the nobility of working together to build something great not only for yourself but especially for others, as in this is our corps, our brotherhood/sisterhood, from cradle to grave, with delayed gratification in order to make something greater than ourselves.

Yep, that I will give ya as being true.

Oh, and Go Mandarins!!! They, at least for now, seem to be the most loyal!!

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1