What happened to Madison?

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Aw shucks; here I am competing in the Little League World Series. I am hating they way the batting coach is treating me here at Peachtree, I am having a bad experience, my self esteem and feelings are getting hurt; so I will just transfer for my final season to the Honolulu team where I will be more appreciated and happy as player there. Ummmm.... Not going to be allowed to happen.

If only there were a difference between Little League and DCI...some sort of difference in maturity level of the participants...some sort of age difference, maybe?

I fail to see how the rules set out for 12 year olds in a sport that they play during the school year should have any impact on how we regard the rules for what high school and college kids do in the summer.

Also, you may want to look into AAU basketball, in which players switch teams much the way DCI participants do.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Stu said:

Since this is a competitive environment I have no issues with Open Class being utilized as a feeder system. However, since this is a competitive environment I have a huge issue with World Class corps being used as feeders. That is why I am for some sort of a World Class to World Class red-shirt type system.

Academic sports won't allow NCAA Div I players to direct transfer year to year without a penilty, and major league sports have a waiting period before free agency is allowed.

Perform one year with (open class corps) then go to Blue Devils; fine. Perform one year with Madison and desire to go to Blue Devils, do the next year with (open class corps) or sit out a year, then go to Blue Devils.

Its funny you cite the NCAA, when if anything the NCAA is moving on a trend-line where players have more flexibility to transfer. Wouldnt surprise me if the transfer restrictions go away entirely within the next 10-15 years. 

Don't get me wrong, of course it sucks for the corps that loses a kid to a higher scoring corps. But when the kids only have a few years of eligibility and are paying thousands of dollars a year (as opposed to being given tens of thousands in scholarships, housing, training, etc) , it makes no sense to restrict them. Especially since there are a myriad of reasons one may want to change corps- they may want a different style of show, they may want a different staff (or to follow staff who changed corps), or they may want to take on a different skill level and be educated at a level that the corps theyre leaving may never be able to teach (And that isnt a bash on the corps that is being left. Every corps has its talent pool level and has to target its education towards that). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, AlexL said:

Its funny you cite the NCAA, when if anything the NCAA is moving on a trend-line where players have more flexibility to transfer. Wouldnt surprise me if the transfer restrictions go away entirely within the next 10-15 years. 

Don't get me wrong, of course it sucks for the corps that loses a kid to a higher scoring corps. But when the kids only have a few years of eligibility and are paying thousands of dollars a year (as opposed to being given tens of thousands in scholarships, housing, training, etc) , it makes no sense to restrict them. Especially since there are a myriad of reasons one may want to change corps- they may want a different style of show, they may want a different staff (or to follow staff who changed corps), or they may want to take on a different skill level and be educated at a level that the corps theyre leaving may never be able to teach (And that isnt a bash on the corps that is being left. Every corps has its talent pool level and has to target its education towards that). 

The NCAA just passed rules for basketball that make it more difficult to transfer 

2 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

The NCAA just passed rules for basketball that make it more difficult to transfer 

They tightened up one form of transfer hardship waiver, but the overall trendline is in the 'making it easier to transfer' direction. 

1 hour ago, AlexL said:

In a vacuum, this would be about freedom of choice. Transferring for athletic reasons would be no different than any other student who moves for any other reason: academics, friendships, etc. Which in a vacuum I am completely for. But this is not a vacuum.

Highly competitive team activites are different. You have to have all of the teams which are under the same governing body playing by strict enrollment and recruitment rules in order to have equitable competition.

That doesn’t happen to nearly the same degree level in academics like math, science, or even speech-debate. Granted, there are competive elements in those academic events, but not to the impactful degree prodiced by athletic team events.

And DCI is way, way closer to athletic team sports than an academic math club competition.

1 hour ago, ftwdrummer said:

If only there were a difference between Little League and DCI...some sort of difference in maturity level of the participants...some sort of age difference, maybe?

I fail to see how the rules set out for 12 year olds in a sport that they play during the school year should have any impact on how we regard the rules for what high school and college kids do in the summer.

Also, you may want to look into AAU basketball, in which players switch teams much the way DCI participants do.

I would venture to say that in the grand scheme of the real world, the Little League World Series is way more important, serious, impactful, significant, earnest, et al than DCI even dreams of being. One tell tail sign is how many fake birth certificates are attempted to be slipped by DCI compared to the Little League? That answer alone will show the real world experience impact.

And I did look into not only the AAU, but the NCAA, and a multitude of state high school associations. The athletic transfer issue is extremely problematic with wide spread cheating and corruption. Like I stated in another post, in most cases I am for academic freedom of choice. But in the case of athletic competition, where equibility is paramount for fair engagement, enrollment and recruitment rules need to be strict.

Edited by Stu

1 minute ago, Stu said:

I would venture to say that in the grand scheme of the real world, the Little League World Series is way more important, serious, impactful, significant, earnest, et al than DCI even dreams of being.

And I did look into not only the AAU, but the NCAA, and a multitude of state high school associations. The athletic transfer issue is extremely problematic with wide spread cheating and corruption. Like I stated in another post, in most cases I am for academic freedom of choice. But in the case of athletic competition, where equibility is paramount for fair engagement, enrollment and recruitment rules need to be strict.

(Emphasis added.)

That...wasn't what we were discussing, but ok

In principle, not wrong...but I'm now curious as to how you feel about free agency as a concept.

1 minute ago, ftwdrummer said:

(Emphasis added.)

That...wasn't what we were discussing, but ok

In principle, not wrong...but I'm now curious as to how you feel about free agency as a concept.

I need some sleep or I will fall asleep in church and get whacked by my wife, so I will fully answer this after I get out of church. But here is a teaser: Because of the way team owners treated players in the past I am for free agency as long as....

6 hours ago, tedrick said:

What the Blue Stars had was a consistent director, Brad Furlano, who had a vision and kept moving towards it.

Madison has had too much leadership churn since SS left.

Not really accurate. Blue Stars had SEVERAL directors during those down years, who thankfully kept the corps basically on life support until Brad took over the helm, the result of which you see today on the field,  AFTER 15 or so years of climbing and fighting back.  Also,  It's not just about consistency, it's about the right consistency.  Pio had pretty consistent leadership too. 

Edited by BozzlyB
  • Like 2