What happened to Madison?

39 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

I think back in the day (pre-2008), when drum corps required more brut strength and athleticism, having an all male corps was an advantage. Now, that type of physicality is not required and you are losing out on a lot of talented female musicians. 

omg

7 minutes ago, Gantang said:

I'd be less than happy if I was a Dues Paying member who auditioned, earned a spot, and traveled to all the camps only to have guard members recruited and paid to be members a week before the season started. That could be a huge morale destroyer and cancer between the sections. Especially when they start looking at score sheets. 

Exactly. Free tuition for all!

2 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Actually when you think about it, paying members to March is ridiculous and would end the activity. 

How so? I don't mean pay cash to the members. Pay for their dues, fees, etc. 

College athletes are paid the same way. 

2 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

How so? I don't mean pay cash to the members. Pay for their dues, fees, etc. 

College athletes are paid the same way. 

College sports are HUGE money generators, drum corps is not.

1 minute ago, FlamMan said:

Well then maybe it's time to get some business minds working in the activity. 

And that statement is not entirely accurate. The vast majority of college athletic programs lose money. 

Edited by HolyNOLA
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

It's been what, 13 years since a championship?

SCV went 18 years between wins but had women in the corps the whole time. Pretty sure gender makeup isn't much of a factor one way or another.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

Well then maybe it's time to get some business minds working in the activity. 

The Blue Stars were once sponsored by a bank, Pioneer by a cardboard manufacturer, and a few other corps have had corporate sponsorship, but to say the activity is a niche market is to be generous in its popularity. No prudent CMO would allocate marketing dollars on an activity that would bring no ROI. Corps will always be primarily self funded.

Edited by Gantang
Spelling error
  • Like 2

As simply a fan it’s been frustrating to watch Madison decline.  

From watching what’s happened with staff and the reaction of alumni that financially support the corps I’d say there is a big problem with staffing. In particular I think Madison became too insular. They have insisted on hiring staff that in most cases are former scouts. They seem to do this because they look back at years like ‘95 and say that they need to do that again. That’s one of my favorite shows ever, but you know times change. At this point honestly they have to stop living in the past and hire staff with experience teaching other successful corps. Hire some of the younger hungry staff members at BD, Crown, Bluecoats, etc. Get entirely new staff that has experienced the way successful modern corps run their organizations, create their shows, etc.  They need to learn from others how to be relevant and successful in today’s version of the activity. 

39 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Lol are you serious? A vast majority of college sports do not generate any revenue whatsoever. Many D1 Basketball programs are barely generating enough revenue to keep the programs afloat. 

Remember when University of Maryland, after being a founder member of the ACC, migrated to the Big 10? Let's just say that it wasn't so that the school would have a change of scenery 

21 minutes ago, Gantang said:

The Blue Stars were once sponsored by a bank, Pioneer by a cardboard manufacturer, and a few other corps have had corporate sponsorship, but to say the activity is a niche market is to be generous in its popularity. No prudent CMO would allocate marketing dollars on an activity that would bring no ROI. Corps will always be primarily self funded.

Another factor is for drum corps is “bang for the buck.” If you donate $1,000 to a basketball program, your donation goes farther than $1,000 to a drum corps. If the donation is made to a program in an inner-city neighborhood, you add a goodwill factor.