What happened to Madison?

2 hours ago, Ghost said:

Possibly.  He was the mouth piece, but I believe there were another one or two directors who worked hard to get G7 accepted.

That's what was intimated by some people. He was the kid holding the lightning rod in the middle of an open field in a raging thunderstorm that attracted all the anger, but it was intimated that at least one other major player was also supportive in the related threads by thoughtful individuals.

On 6/29/2019 at 7:57 PM, oldbandguy said:

The kids marching in today's DCI were born, on average, in the year 2001.  That means they joined their competitive school band/guard programs around the year 2014.  That's not a very long "history span."  

True. They naturally want to be where they will gain the most success in a short window of opportunity for themselves. One can't blame them, especially with the fees involved.

6 hours ago, BlueStainGlass said:

I can see it now madison scouts sponsored by the Green Bay Packers. Instead of uniforms they just wear Aaron Rodgers uniforms with Cheeseheads. 

Be careful what you wish for.  :whistle:

8 hours ago, tedrick said:

Woes are tied to staff and member churn -- how do successful corps develop a culture where everyone wants to come back? It's not just winning -- it's team chemistry -- Madison and PR have a chemi problem -- members and staff are not staying bc they are not valued? Is it just to chase a ring?

Or do they feel they can get a better overall experience and gain more knowledge elsewhere? It's very hard to get people to buy into a multi-year situation anymore unless there's some kind of clear and obvious path for growth and improvement.

22 hours ago, corps8294 said:

I've told this story numerous times; so I'll tell it again. Most everyone around here knows that the Blue Stars were one of the founding corps of DCI and a Top 12 powerhouse in the '70s. Like a lot of corps, they got into financial trouble and ended folding...sort of. Back in '82, "The Blue Stars" and their cadet corps co-exisisted. The original Top 12 Blue Stars folded after the '82 season; but the Blue Star Cadets remained to carry on with the goal to eventually get the organization back to Div I status. They went through years competing in CCI, A and A-60, Div. II and III, and eventually returning to Div. I in '06. It took well over two decades to build the corps back up and a lot the '70s alumni weren't too pleased with the slow progress; some even suggesting the corps should just fold. Even David Kampschroer, who was known to have a dislike for small drum corps, was displeased with the state and progress of the corps. When the corps returned to Div. I in '06 with the eventual return to finals in '08; the alumni from the '70s started to come back, including Kampschroer.
I don't think that Madison and Regiment will have to go to the extreme that the Blue Stars did to "right the ship;" but they need to realize that they are going to have to do some serious rebuilding and rebranding if they wish to remain competitive and in the Saturday show. 

Thoughtful. Sometimes, slow and prudent progress to ensure long term stability and viability is far more valuable than getting a flash in the pan. Seen that happen and wreck my corps.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, karuna said:

The focus on talent is mis-placed.  It's not about talent -- it's about staff and design.

Cadets won for many years with what most of the top corps would have considered "middlin'" talent.  Why ?  Because they had great teachers and great designers. 

Madison needs to find and keep the right staff.  Produce a show that makes HS kids watching say "I'd like to be a part of that".    Give your current membership great instruction so they can become better performers.  You'll get more than enough talent walking in the door.

This. Its all about leadership, inspiration, fire and passion.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, BigW said:

They naturally want to be where they will gain the most success in a short window of opportunity for themselves. One can't blame them, especially with the fees involved.

Thoughtful. Sometimes, slow and prudent progress to ensure long term stability and viability is far more valuable than getting a flash in the pan. Seen that happen and wreck my corps.

Somewhere down the line, Instead of teacing many of our youth the nobilities of self sacrafice, honor, delayed gratification, patience, wisdom, consequence, vertue, convent, the true meaning of success, and holding them to that standard, our culture has allowed them to develop their own sense of narcissistic, twitter, Facebook,  Machiavellian, no consequence, immediate gratification no matter what perverted definition of success.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Stu said:

Somewhere down the line, Instead of teacing many of our youth the nobilities of self sacrafice, honor, delayed gratification, patience, wisdom, consequence, vertue, convent, the true meaning of success, and holding them to that standard, our culture has allowed them to develop their own sense of narcissistic, twitter, Facebook,  Machiavellian, no consequence, immediate gratification no matter what perverted definition of success.

You forgot to say "Get off my lawn!!"

Or alternatively 

old.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigW said:

Absolutely. You'd also diminish the talent pool. There would even be more of the "If I can't get into the corps I want and I go elsewhere then have to sit out a year to get where I want, the heck with it." At 5k USD a year or more to pay to play...

Is it $5K to march today? Holy crap...

2 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Is it $5K to march today? Holy crap...

BAC fees are the highest across the board at $5,150 in fees. Madison is $3,900 for this season