What happened to Madison?

1 hour ago, HolyNOLA said:

This is just insane. 

that $5k covers all camps, all of spring training and tour. It isn't cheap to move 154 kids plus staff  as well as feed and house them.

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

A) I have spent the last thirty years placing capital in stocks, bonds, precious metals, other investments, and am not relying on Social Security which will likely implode. So how are kids today funding my retirement?

B) When I was in my youth my dad was an idiot. Now I have come to realize he was the most wise person who ever gave me advice. So I was much like you many moons ago.

My god you really are a real life Dwight Schrute 

• Haha 1

Just now, Jeff Ream said:

psst...kids left corps for other corps 40 years ago. You just didn't have the internet to blather on about it

True that some left. Mainly drummers who would follow caption heads like ducklings. But it was not the norm. The norm was corps loyality. That begin to change as the activity moved into the new millennium and corps hopping became widely acceptable.

17 minutes ago, Stu said:

Duty, honor, commitment, covenant,  overcoming adversity, learning to deal with it instead of running away,.....my idea works out in the end.

No. Their duty and commitment ended the second the season was over. They are no longer bound contractually to return to that corps if they so desire. Your idea only works out in driving kids away. if i marched in the Wabash Cadetaliers and ya know what...the staff was lousy, the food sucked and we didn't get enough rest...and some DCP ######## got a rule passed that says I have to go back there just because i marched there one year? #### that, I'm out of here.

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

I marched with a scholarship provided to me by my corps.

and how many corps have the means to hand out 154 of those a year?

You continue to kill your argument the more you fight for it. Someday, you'll learn to quit when you're far, far behind

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

True that some left. Mainly drummers who would follow caption heads like ducklings. But it was not the norm. The norm was corps loyality. That begin to change as the activity moved into the new millennium and corps hopping became widely acceptable.

wasn't just drummers. But why argue facts with you, never stops you

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

wasn't just drummers. But why argue facts with you, never stops you

Never said it was just drummers, but mainly drummers. Some brass and guard would follow staff. Sure. Happy now?

Okay. So, I have thought long and hard about this with never finding the impetus, the go-ahead to say what has been on my mind for many years. The sudden and surprising availability to this video (see below)  has given me the go-ahead. The video was so great to see. I teared up without expecting to do such. So, here it is:

If the Madison Scouts find themselves going the way of 2-7, Anaheim Kingsmen, Magic, etc. the fault will largely fall on the shoulders of the many misguided, un-thinking, and self-indulgent alumni, not the current administration. Drum corps alumni are notorious for creating friction, drama, and controversy. Too many of the Madison Scouts alumni are the poster child for all that can be most bad, wrong, destructive, and caustic about corps alumni, and I dare say they demonstrate that they are the worst of all drum corps alumni in these regards. While the reasons for this are complex, much is linked to the overtly preached message of animosity, distrust, and elitism taught to the corps through much of the 1990s and early 2000s. 

I was on staff in 2006. We were reeling from a great season in 2005 and trying to find our next move. When you are 14th four years prior and still trying to be a consistent and a bonified finalist, just four years later, nothing comes easy and perhaps the best thing a guy can hope for is a pat on the back from those who may understand the journey, the work, the unique and special environment that is Scouts itself. 

The week of finals, the powers that be had arranged for the Alumni Project (Madison Scouts Alumni who were to perform at DCI) and the 2006 Scouts to perform for each other at a Madison-Area HS. Sitting in the stands with the alumni while the 2006 version of the Madison Scouts were performing their show, I became more and more uncomfortable and extremely uneasy. The comments from alums regarding the current members were not only negative, but horribly offensive, unfair, uneducated, and threatening toward the performing members. I actually wondered if verbal and physical altercations would take place once the two groups were allowed to interact. Sal Salas (a brilliant and wonderful human being) quickly gathered the staff together and ushered the corps away from the alumni as quickly as possible. Though I did witness some positive interactions between the 2006 Scouts and alumni, I too was concerned and made sure the 2006 Scouts were separated as soon as possible and on our way to a secluded meeting place.

Imagine- You have to stand there explaining to the amazing young people you teach day in and day out that they did a great performance and any animosity they may have heard or seen from alumni was not representative of the majority and that most alumni are actually super cool and supportive (At the time and now looking back, I do not think most were supportive. I was lying to try to counteract the negative interactions our members had experienced). 

Later that night at a Madison-Area bar, several of us on staff were physically threatened- pushed, shoved, asked to fight alumni. It was beyond crazy and such a reminder of the responsibilities we have to teach young people honor and humility, work ethic and service, over popular opinion and suppression. 

That fall, after Sal Salas as corps director was fired and subsequently the entire staff resigned,  the rest is history so to speak. Several years of floundering was followed by the great leadership of Jim Mason. Under his leadership, Scouts were back in finals and a crowd favorite, doing Madison-esque shows but with competitive prowess. Then the alumni again got aggressive and ran the successful design team and instructors off, thinking if they would hire past Scouts members instead, the corps would do better competitively. Well- it is 2019, are your negative actions working for you alumni? That said, I applaud those alumni that remain loyal, introspective and outro-spective, member-centric, and kind. 

The 2006 Madison Scouts were the hardest working corps I have ever taught. Their show was flawed but aggressive, difficult but rewarding, pushing the envelope, but accessible in many ways. There were many obstacles to overcome that season that should not be discussed here. The achievement level demonstrated on this video and finals is astonishing. Doesn’t that count for something? The work ethic and drive of young people that want to not only to be good, but deserve to be good as well is the Scouts way? Is it not?

Alumni, if you think your money, or opinion, or years in the corps somehow entitles you- YOU have 100% missed the point of, MYNWA. Peace.   

https://www.facebook.com/james.andrzejek/videos/10150155607901248/UzpfSTEyNDAxMjU3NzE6MTAyMTQ4MDg2NjYzMTA0NjY/

Edited by derbydawg
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Never said it was just drummers, but mainly drummers. Some brass and guard would follow staff. Sure. Happy now?

wasn't mainly drummers. good try though.

5 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

and how many corps have the means to hand out 154 of those a year?

You continue to kill your argument the more you fight for it. Someday, you'll learn to quit when you're far, far behind

Not everyone in a 300 member university marching band receives scholarships either. But I was merely pointing out that many corps did, and still do, offer performers they want to retain some sort of financial help.