What happened to Madison?

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Had to look that up. I do not watch much TV. I mainly read. Currently in the middle of a book entitled Scalia Speaks. Ya might want to pick up a copy.

Well that at least explains what you've been saying in this thread pretty well.  So we have that, I guess.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, derbydawg said:

Yep. Ducking practice has well begun. Helmet on and honesty held as a shield. Bring it !!  

Helmets and shields are becoming archaic in DCI. Just sayin! 😊

3 minutes ago, HolyNOLA said:

Still ridiculous. I paid a quarter of that in the 2000's. Diesel fuel is half what is was 10 years ago. 

Corps are directly to blame for driving the costs up. I think we could do without the extra instruments, props, constant uniform changes...unless the corps can find some way of paying for this without passing the costs on to the members

you also didn't have spring training like they do now. You also got most of your on tour housing for free, or dirt cheap. You also didn't eat as healthy. 

1 minute ago, Jeff Ream said:

you want to entirely impede the option of kids going to a different corps, or at least significantly do so. A kid honors their season long commitment, and wants to go. you want eliminate corps hopping. You want to crow about honoring a commitment...well the kid did. they finished the year they signed a contract for. You're trying to make that contract for multiple seasons.

You still have not showed me where I said they were 'forced' to stay in a situation they hated. That was your claim.

40 minutes ago, Stu said:

Duty, honor, commitment, covenant,  overcoming adversity, learning to deal with it instead of running away,.....my idea works out in the end.

No it doesn't. 

I left a Friday night corps for a Saturday night corps. Other than wanting to push the limits both physically and musically, one of the main reasons I left is because I wanted to eat better. The first corps I was with couldn't afford to feed us every day, so we had way too many free days (which cost me a ton of money), and towards the end of the season they were basically feeding us pizza every other day. I used to bum meals from my buddies in other corps after shows. 

Moral of the story is, if you want my loyalty, treat me better. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, geluf said:

Well that at least explains what you've been saying in this thread pretty well.  So we have that, I guess.

Yep. Goodnight y'all.

Edited by Stu

6 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

you also didn't have spring training like they do now. You also got most of your on tour housing for free, or dirt cheap. You also didn't eat as healthy. 

Please elaborate on this 

16 minutes ago, Jeff Ream said:

Jeff, what the heck are you talking about here? Who got tour housing for free, and who didn't eat healthy?

49 minutes ago, Stu said:

A) I have spent the last thirty years placing capital in stocks, bonds, precious metals, other investments, and am not relying on Social Security which will likely implode. So how are kids today funding my retirement?

B) When I was in my youth my dad was an idiot. Now I have come to realize he was the most wise person who ever gave me advice. So I was much like you many moons ago.

Who do you think buys the things that result in your shares of stock having more value? 

What do you think the yield of your bonds is based on? How much student debt do you own? (Probably quite a lot.)

You know nothing about me.

It's MARCHING BAND. MARCHING BAND. Kids should be in the band they want to be in.

What happened to Madison? Failure of management to adapt. (See also: "Cadets, The")

• Like 1

1 hour ago, exitmusic said:

Who do you think buys the things that result in your shares of stock having more value? 

What do you think the yield of your bonds is based on? How much student debt do you own? (Probably quite a lot.)

You know nothing about me.

It's MARCHING BAND. MARCHING BAND. Kids should be in the band they want to be in.

What happened to Madison? Failure of management to adapt. (See also: "Cadets, The")

And you know even less about me. But let me help.

Gained respect for wise old gents when both my dad and a retired Christian preacher began to council me on the vertue of caring more about serving others than myself. And part of that service was to allow me the opportunity to learn wisdom by accepting failure, heartache, and pain with grace. Both of them died long ago, and I was able to handle that grief with grace. I hope and pray I can now, as an old gent, mentor youth in the same way..

Oh, and I never had any student loan debt. Recived academic scholarship and worked full time; graduated with a 3.89 GPA. Take care. Back to DCI discussion. And God Speed to ya.

Edited by Stu