What happened to Madison?

47 minutes ago, MikeN said:

And props don't cost that much.

Mike

I'm not disagreeing, but I'm curious on that. Any examples of a really good prop that cost a lot less than people think? Kind of like when people think a lot of the costs incurred in running a School District is in the facility cost/maintenance when the reality is 70% give or take of the budget is in Staff and Admin salaries.

3 minutes ago, jeffmolnar said:

I think their argument is that we had all of those same obligations 15 years ago and tuition was substantially cheaper — despite higher fuel prices.

So is your salary the same as it was 15 years ago? In this litigious day in age you think insurance is cheap?  There is more equipment, more MM's, more staff, more money to be paid for music rights.   Food costs about double.  Take another look at all the things that cost money from my list and plug numbers in and see how far past corps fees you go. It builds up faster than you think.

Just now, LabMaster said:

So is your salary the same as it was 15 years ago? In this litigious day in age you think insurance is cheap?  There is more equipment, more MM's, more staff, more money to be paid for music rights.   Food costs about double.  Take another look at all the things that cost money from my list and plug numbers in and see how far past corps fees you go. It builds up faster than you think.

I agree with you, I was just pointing out that the poster you replied to was already aware of that stuff. I believe they marched early/mid 2000's like I did.

Just now, jeffmolnar said:

I agree with you, I was just pointing out that the poster you replied to was already aware of that stuff. I believe they marched early/mid 2000's like I did.

I didn't mean to direct that at you specifically.  Many people don't realize the depth of the cost of running a top tier corps.  It has changed a lot sine the early 2000's.  I'm not sure when the corps exceeded 130 MM's but now that number is 18% higher, so adding 18% to what the costs were then may put you in the ballpark of today's costs.  I think corps budgets now are in the $3M range annually.

1 hour ago, exitmusic said:

How wonderful for you! Must have been nice. This is simply not achievable today, thanks largely in part to the boomers' gutting of the economy from about 1981 - 1992. You got yours. Now you're out here telling us how we need to march at one band because REASONS.

YOu're a walking Old Economy Steve.

QwjGGRQ.jpg

I wasn't talking about how much student debt you owe, I was talking about how much you profit off of the student debt of the kids you bemoan in your earlier posts. (Spoiler alert: You own a lot more of it than you think you do.) You're welcome for the free money!

If a teen wants to make excelent grades, earn an academic scholarship, work nights and weekends to pay for higher education an drum corps that is fine with me.

If a teen wants to place a heavy debt burden on himself, that is his prerogative. But he better not take my hard earned money to pay it off (as in using my taxes, which the government confiscates, to relieve him from getting in over his head).

By the way, if I happen to profit from their financial stupidity, well I am fine with that

Moreover, it is the most narcissistic fool of fools who takes on massive student loan debt, and instead of paying down that debt, pays 3k to 5k per year to march corps.

Edited by Stu
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, LabMaster said:

So what if the corps the MM wants to go to is further down the totem pole and has less money, to the point they cannot afford a transfer fee to the possibly more well off corps the MM is departing from?  Say an MM wants to depart a financially stable top 2 corps for a less "wealthy" 15th place corps.  Specific reason notwithstanding.  Are you saying that MM sits out for a year?  Well that is what you are saying and that is not fair to the MM.

IMO the only obligation the MM has to the corps they are departing, is that all monies owed are paid & all equipment returned,  whether they go to a WC or OC corps.  The corps the MM is going to,  cannot not allow the MM to march a competitive show during the season unless the MM is clear of the debt.  The debt can be cleared any number of ways but it should be cleared.  That would be my stipulation for a kid moving from one corps to another.  Oh and a MM cannot move once the season starts.  A transfer fee is not needed.  It is not servitude not is it the NCAA school athletics transfer situation either.

As far as pilfering an MM?  How does one pilfer a person?  Is that like kidnapping?  Is can any OC corps not directly part of another WC organization be thought of or used as a "feeder" corps? 

WC to OC no fee paid by OC. Unrestricted Free Agency.

OC to WC no fee paid by WC. Unrestricted Free Agency.

WCx to WCa, no matter what placement, WCa pays a commission fee. Restricted Free Agency.

Flash of insight. Using Stu's model, Everyone who went to Pioneer would have been consigned to Hell.  And the easy answer is "NO, NO, ABSOLUTELY NO!" when the question "Well, what if Pio would have had all that talent stay instead of bolt for the door, wouldn't they be awesome then!?"

I wouldn't want that on my conscience.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

If a teen wants to make excelent grades, earn an academic scholarship, work nights and weekends to pay for higher education an drum corps that is fine with me.

If a teen wants to place a heavy debt burden on himself, that is his prerogative. But he better not take my hard earned money to pay it off (as in using my taxes, which the government confiscates, to relieve him from getting in over his head).

By the way, if I happen to profit from their financial stupidity, well I am fine with that

Moreover, it is the most narcissistic fool of fools who takes on massive student loan debt, and instead of paying down that debt, pays 3k to 5k per year to march corps.

It’s not feasible to just “make excellent grades work nights and weekends” to pay for college in 2019. It hasn’t been for quite a while now. Maybe 1-2% of people will get full ride or close to full ride scholarships from academics. That still leaves a huge amount of young people who have one path to a college education — student loans.

But screw them, right? You got yours. Back when it was easy.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, HockeyDad said:

Had to go back and read the title of this thread. I saw a handful of replies that attempted to be on topic. The rest is a multi page Stu-a-thon and y’all keep feeding it. WHY?????

i removed myself from Stu's unrealistic fantasies. and honestly the Madison stuff has been covered elsewhere. Not sure why this thread is even needed anymore

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stu said:

WC to OC no fee paid by OC. Unrestricted Free Agency.

OC to WC no fee paid by WC. Unrestricted Free Agency.

WCx to WCa, no matter what placement, WCa pays a commission fee. Restricted Free Agency.

You guys have an interesting topic here that’s worthy of its own thread. It isn’t contributing well to the OP’s question in this thread.