What happened to Madison?

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

Not ignoring plight. There are a lot of other means of securing an education than going massivly in debt. It is just far far better to work at a job and pay for a smaller less expensive school than to go over 100,000 in debt for a piece of paper to hang on the wall with a supppsed prestigious name on it. Moreover there are colleges and universities which take needs based youth and their education is provided in excange for working on campus.

Stu, you are out of touch.

• Thanks 5

17 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Stu, you are out of touch.

And out of debt!!! And so are my kids!!!! And so are my grandkids!!!! Not because we are rich in financial wealth, far from it. But we live by the creed of reap by work, live by and within your means, if you can't get your desire that way do not go for the immediate gratification which yields delayed massive debt.

Most people today could live that way. They just choose the quick for now route. And If others want to live the play now pay later life, just do not ask me or my family to bail you out when overloaded with debt.

Edited by Stu
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

And out of debt!!! And so are my kids!!!! And so are my grandkids!!!! Not because we are rich in financial wealth, far from it. But we live by the creed of reap by work, live by and within your means, if you can't get your desire that way do not go for the immediate gratification which yields delayed massive debt.

And If others want to live the play now pay later life, just do not ask me or my family to bail you out when overloaded with debt.

Great for you! You're still out of touch. ...and making a broad generalization about debt.  A college degree is touted as a way out of poverty to the masses.  Taking debt for it is sold as a great investment in your future.

Oh, and giving huge tax cuts to rich ######## is ok, but fixing this college debt thing is terrible? 

Frankly, people with student loan debt should at least be able to file for BK just like all other debt ...

Finally, I don't think anyone is asking you for anything.

Edited by jjeffeory
More commentary
  • Thanks 2

So wait...what happened to Madison?

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Everybody - I have an idea for a new thread: How do we solve the spiraling college cost problem?  Since we’re solving so many problems here I thought we might break this topic off into a new one. 

Ok that’s tongue in cheek. We’re not actually solving anything here. But we sure are doing a good job of airing grievances. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, exitmusic said:

How wonderful for you! Must have been nice. This is simply not achievable today, thanks largely in part to the boomers' gutting of the economy from about 1981 - 1992. You got yours.

I'm considered a boomer by most definitions and I was in high school, college and grad school for the first 10 of those 12 years.  I'm flattered you think I was able to accomplish so much in the last 2.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

WC to OC no fee paid by OC. Unrestricted Free Agency.

OC to WC no fee paid by WC. Unrestricted Free Agency.

WCx to WCa, no matter what placement, WCa pays a commission fee. Restricted Free Agency.

Why would a fee be needed?  What would it matter. An MM should be able to go wherever they want to go so long as the have all debts paid or resolved in some manner with the corps they are departing.  And they audition successfully with the new corps as well.  It isn't NCAA or pro soccer.  It is a youth activity run by adults but they should still make it so a participant can easily participate and no corps should ever pay another a fee of any sort.  Is that so hard to understand?

You all should really stick to talking about drum corps - most of you clearly know very little about economics

In my view Madison is FINE. Nothing has "happened to them"

I would hope they focus on strengthening the organization's fiscal situation and slowly build instructional/design staff and caption strength the next few years

Hope the members have a fun summer - I'll enjoy seeing them in Indy & SAT

G.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LabMaster said:

Why would a fee be needed?  What would it matter. An MM should be able to go wherever they want to go so long as the have all debts paid or resolved in some manner with the corps they are departing.  And they audition successfully with the new corps as well.  It isn't NCAA or pro soccer.  It is a youth activity run by adults but they should still make it so a participant can easily participate and no corps should ever pay another a fee of any sort.  Is that so hard to understand?

Sure it is easy to understand. A 17 year old used to stay and age out with their corps, loving their corps, helping make their corps better. Now a 17 year old spends one year with the Troopers, two years with Spirit,  (both providing great experiences but no ring) then ages out with BD (or SCV, or Crown, ...) to hopefully get that ring. It has nothing to do with love of others, love of corps, but love of self.

As for the fee, even though BD has capital, it would help deter them from pulling talent away from other WC corps.