What happened to Madison?

This thread is a gold mine of terrible opinions. Well above and beyond DCP's usual output. A trophy of shame to everyone who has participated here.

giphy.gif

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Some college sports do generate considerable income.

I am an LSU grad, so I know a bit of what I am talking about.  

Yup. Dont forget about merch sales, TV revenues, etc...Comparing big time NCAA sports to the drum corp activity is just silly. 

2 hours ago, Gantang said:

The Blue Stars were once sponsored by a bank, Pioneer by a cardboard manufacturer, and a few other corps have had corporate sponsorship, but to say the activity is a niche market is to be generous in its popularity. No prudent CMO would allocate marketing dollars on an activity that would bring no ROI. Corps will always be primarily self funded.

I can see it now madison scouts sponsored by the Green Bay Packers. Instead of uniforms they just wear Aaron Rodgers uniforms with Cheeseheads. 

Two common problems stifling so many non-profit organizations are (1) an ED that controls the board, rather than a board that is independent; and (2) poorly managed and poorly communicated finances. I read others discussing these things on DCP, but I don't know that these are Madison's problems.  (And I am not speculating about them here.) Any good outside, non-profit consultant, however, will have her early early radar fine-tuned on both (1) and (2).

Problem (1), BTW, isn't so bad when you have a really effective, visionary ED leading the organization.

2 hours ago, Barneveld said:

And your reply ILC? 😂

I agree many get less $ than others from D1 sports.  What I don't know is how the TV $ gets split up - for example Vanderbilt gets revenue from the SEC TV football deal, even they have not been particularly successful as of late (just an example - I have nothing against Vandy).

To drag this back to Drum Corps, I know appearance fees at shows are based on previous years placement (BD gets more $ than Pacific Crest for example).   Does DCI (the closest equivalent to the NCAA) give $ to Corps as well from DVD sales; does Flo (the TV part of the analogy) pay the Corps for allowing them to broadcast their performances?

Edited by IllianaLancerContra
to use more better English

13 hours ago, ftwdrummer said:

(Emphasis added.)

That...wasn't what we were discussing, but ok

In principle, not wrong...but I'm now curious as to how you feel about free agency as a concept.

Within a body of competing teams, Free Agency, just like Free Market, should be balanced with reasonable team to team parity rules in order to keep one team, or one company, from overly dominating over all others. It is within that harmony where the true spirit of competitive growth arises. It also keeps a low financial area team competitive with a high financial area team like one from the silicon valley. So, here is my opinion on how the concept of Free Agency should be applied as an equitable system within DCI:

A) Youth who have never performed in DCI are free to audition for any corps prior to the begining of the season. Unrestricted Free Agency.

B) At the end of the season any youth who performed that year with an OC corps is free to audition for any WC corps. And any youth who performed with a WC corps is free to audition for any OC corps. Unrestricted Free Agency.

C) At the end of the season any youth who performed with an OC corps transfers to perform with another OC corps the very next season, or any youth who performed with a WC corps transfers to perform with another WC corps the very next season, the receiving corps of that transfer should pay the former corps some sort of fee transfer compensation. (Or the performer can set out a season and transfer without fee compensation). Restricted Free Agency.

This would make sure that organizations are detered from pilfering talent from other 'directly competitive organizations' within their division, and also make sure their own success is more self-built than from acquired talent developed from the labors of other organizations.

Edited by Stu

5 hours ago, MikeD said:

Actually, it may or may not happen. The parents can apply for a waiver. The LL admin in Williamsport makes the call. Of course, if the parents move to Honolulu there is no issue. The kid would automatically play for the Honolulu team.

If the Honolulu team approached them, or lured them, or enticed them to move, nope the kid would not be allowed to play. See what happened to, I think, Jesuit High School in Dallas, TX where they were actually finding parents of great football players from out of state jobs in the Dallas area to help them move.

6 hours ago, MikeD said:

So why would you punish current members who feel as you do that want to audition elsewhere the next season? You are saying it is the corps fault, but it would be the members who suffer.

If the adult staff gets the corps to the gate too late and a timing penilty arises, it is the youth who suffer the scoring penilty not the staff. Correct? So students do suffer as a part of competition; and that suffering is also a vital part of the learning process. And if you read my post on unrestricted and restricted free agency, if another corps wants a talented youth from that corps, or a youth wants to transfer for the next season, it can happen.

Edited by Stu