What happened to Madison?

28 minutes ago, Stu said:

If the adult staff gets the corps to the gate too late and a timing penilty arises, it is the youth who suffer the scoring penilty not the staff. Correct? So students do suffer as a part of competition; and that suffering is also a vital part of the learning process. And if you read my post on unrestricted and restricted free agency, if another corps wants a talented youth from that corps, or a youth wants to transfer for the next season, it can happen.

Heck, lets work in a member draft while we're at it

5 hours ago, mrk said:

....A better analogy than an athlete might be a student who opts to transfer to another University. Whatever her motivation, if she meets the academic requirements, pays the tuition, and the new school has an opening, she's in....

Neither DCI, nor any of the corps, are academic institutions with non profit edicational exemptions. They are listed as youth competitive activities. So it is not like Sally transfering from State University to MIT because of the academic math instruction. While she may transfer from one WC corps to another WC corps based on who is on staff, it is still a competitive transfer not academic.

Edited by Stu

4 minutes ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

Heck, lets work in a member draft while we're at it

If the performers were paid I would also promote that. But since they pay dues I am for Free Agency, both unrestricted and restricted depending on the scenario.

Another funny side effect the idiotic 'don't let kids transfer corps without a penalty' thing would have is a lot of kids just wouldnt turn out for lower placing corps. 

A lot of kids don't make their 'dream' corps and then go march somewhere else, hoping to build some skills and experience so they can go march where they really want to go. Year after year people advise kids who don't make their first shot to go somewhere. If they knew that marching somewhere would impede their ability to get to their goal, they'll just stay home and work on improving themselves some other way.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, AlexL said:

Another funny side effect the idiotic 'don't let kids transfer corps without a penalty' thing would have is a lot of kids just wouldnt turn out for lower placing corps. 

A lot of kids don't make their 'dream' corps and then go march somewhere else, hoping to build some skills and experience so they can go march where they really want to go. Year after year people advise kids who don't make their first shot to go somewhere. If they knew that marching somewhere would impede their ability to get to their goal, they'll just stay home and work on improving themselves some other way.

A) Staying home if you do not make your WC corps of choice is already happening with many youth. The extra cost to try elsewhere in the same season is prohibitive to many. Free Agency in proper competitive context.

B) Auditioning for a second choice WC corps is also happening with other youth. Also Free Agency in proper competitive context.

C) Auditioning for an OC corps to receive that training. Again also Free Agency in proper competitive context.

D) Using a second choice WC corps, one that is in the same competitive division as the first choice, having them train you in order for you to then bail to another WC corps, allowing the next WC corps to reap the talent gained from the previous WC corps the very next season (without some sort of compensation or penility), is not only an abomination to the proper context of Free Angency but a complete narcisestic selfish act which in turn perpetuates the creation of only a few elite corps.

This thread is getting beyond ridiculous. If the Madison Scouts were placing in the middle of the Top 12, like they did years ago, none of this talk of "things aren't fair" would be taking place. The members they have, this year, are out there working just as hard as the Blue Devils, SCV, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure they know and understand that finals isn't going to happen this year and more than likely, next year. But all this talk about unfair member movement and such is silly. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

The focus on talent is mis-placed.  It's not about talent -- it's about staff and design.

Cadets won for many years with what most of the top corps would have considered "middlin'" talent.  Why ?  Because they had great teachers and great designers. 

Madison needs to find and keep the right staff.  Produce a show that makes HS kids watching say "I'd like to be a part of that".    Give your current membership great instruction so they can become better performers.  You'll get more than enough talent walking in the door.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, corps8294 said:

This thread is getting beyond ridiculous. If the Madison Scouts were placing in the middle of the Top 12, like they did years ago, none of this talk of "things aren't fair" wouldn't be taking place. The members they have, this year, are out there working just as hard as the Blue Devils, SCV, etc, etc, etc. I'm sure they know and understand that finals is going to happen this year and more than likely, next year. But all this talk about unfair member movement and such is silly. 

You can believe it silly. Fine. But to state that I am posting these ideas because of 'Madison', with them slipping out of the top 12, is simply not true.

I began to think this way concerning an unrestricted and restricted free agency idea even back in 1988 when Madison won. It erked me even back then that many upper division corps were being used by youth as feeders for the more elite corps.

And it became a real important issue with me when honesty finally materilized with the G7 proposal; where the 7, including MY corps in which I performed with, blaitently and crassly admitted that the other corps should be religated to a status basicly serving as feeders for them.

Colts, Boston, Scouts, Spirit, et al rallied against that proposal. But the atmosphere that the elite are still the only real show, that going to the lot to see them instad of being in the stands to watching Pacific Crest, has gravely influenced who many of the current youth who desire to perform with just them.

And even though this is a Scouts thread, I hope and pray that the board of directors at Regiment, one of those 7, is learning a valuable humble lesson right now!

10 minutes ago, karuna said:

The focus on talent is mis-placed.  It's not about talent -- it's about staff and design.

Cadets won for many years with what most of the top corps would have considered "middlin'" talent.  Why ?  Because they had great teachers and great designers. 

Madison needs to find and keep the right staff.  Produce a show that makes HS kids watching say "I'd like to be a part of that".    Give your current membership great instruction so they can become better performers.  You'll get more than enough talent walking in the door.

When have the cadets had middling talent? With the exception of 2011, the Cadets have been carried by exceptional member talent while GH designed turd after turd 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cappybara said:

When have the cadets had middling talent? With the exception of 2011, the Cadets have been carried by exceptional member talent while GH designed turd after turd 

Take the time to talk to instructors who actually taught the Cadets from mid 90s to mid '00s .   You'll be surprised.   

And I didn't say middlin' talent compared to all corps -- I said what the top corps would consider middlin' talent (which is a far different thing). 

Cappy you've never even seen the Cadets live when they were amazingly great.  2011 was a staggeringly brilliant design not exceptional member talent.

Edited by karuna