What happened to Madison?

42 minutes ago, adman said:

... Drum Corps is at best an esoteric diversion directed to a target audience of ex-members, current members, future members, music educators, and allied trades. It isn't big enough outside that universe to have people care who is going where.....

Now this is one of the most profound and true statements posted on DCP in many years!!!!!!!!

45 minutes ago, adman said:

.... The best way to retain members is to create high perceived value. Whether that value is being competitive, being inventive, being renown for a particular caption, or something else - value attractiveness will get and keep players.....

Now back to my original post - What is going on with Madison?...

You have actually answered your own question with the preceeding statement. What is going on with Madison is that they are not providing those things.

6 hours ago, adman said:

Guys I really am not trolling.  There really is little info online via video so I can't see this year's show.  It is an organization with such a rich history. While I thought last year's show was awful,  I thought they had a whole new team.  I would think the Madison name would still mean something to people wanting to march and they would be able to get top talent.  Seriously, why such low scores?

The Scouts have awful leadership. Complete failures.

4 hours ago, IllianaLancerContra said:

In a nutshell, they are not scoring well.  There is debate over who / what is to blame for this.

No, there should be no debate at all. The success or failure of any organization goes straight to leadership and management, nothing else.

• Like 1

I've told this story numerous times; so I'll tell it again. Most everyone around here knows that the Blue Stars were one of the founding corps of DCI and a Top 12 powerhouse in the '70s. Like a lot of corps, they got into financial trouble and ended up folding...sort of. Back in '82, "The Blue Stars" and their cadet corps co-exisisted. The original Top 12 Blue Stars folded after the '82 season; but the Blue Star Cadets remained to carry on with the goal to eventually get the organization back to Div I status. They went through years competing in CCI, A and A-60, Div. II and III, and eventually returning to Div. I in '06. It took well over two decades to build the corps back up and a lot the '70s alumni weren't too pleased with the slow progress; some even suggesting the corps should just fold. Even David Kampschroer, who was known to have a dislike for small drum corps, was displeased with the state and progress of the corps. When the corps returned to Div. I in '06 with the eventual return to finals in '08; the alumni from the '70s started to come back, including Kampschroer.
I don't think that Madison and Regiment will have to go to the extreme that the Blue Stars did to "right the ship;" but they need to realize that they are going to have to do some serious rebuilding and rebranding if they wish to remain competitive and in the Saturday show. 

Edited by corps8294
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Cappybara said:

Wow a lot of non answers in this thread 

There's a lot that goes into it but it really boils down to them sticking to their old identity for way too long (made them come across as outdated and uncool) and an administration who doesn't really seem to care to make the proper changes 

Phantom is going through a similar thing 

Yes! Having an image and identity is one thing; becoming a caricature of that image and identity is another. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

it's a dog eat dog world, and Madison's last 15 years have basically had them wearing milk bone underwear

The true essence of competition is not dog eat dog. That is a perversion. Pick up the book Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallwey, and read the chapter on the meaning of competition. I subscribe to that very notion.

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

The true essence of competition is not dog eat dog. That is a perversion. Pick up the book Inner Game of Tennis by Timothy Gallwey, and read the chapter on the meaning of competition. I subscribe to that very notion.

on principle, i aim to cancel your subscriptions

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, Jeff Ream said:

so per Stu, if a kid has a bad experience and wants to go elsewhere, he has to stay or sit out a year? Horse ####

Aw shucks; here I am competing in the Little League World Series. I am hating they way the batting coach is treating me here at Peachtree, I am having a bad experience, my self esteem and feelings are getting hurt; so I will just transfer for my final season to the Honolulu team where I will be more appreciated and happy as player there. Ummmm.... Not going to be allowed to happen.