What happened to Madison?

11 hours ago, BozzlyB said:

Where was your call for this lil red shirt program when Scouts were top 5 and corps like Colts were losing members to them hand over fist. Madison has to do the hard work of being a competitively desirable drum corps to march in again, and the game shouldn't be changed just because they're the corps in the tough spot.  

This kind of a proposal has been suggested in one form or another for years. I cannot say for certain that Stu was one who suggested it years ago, but it has been debated on these pages in the past. Because it is a competitive activity, the top tier would never agree, and those who place a bit lower probably feel it would not make a difference.

I have not attended winter camps, rehearsals, etc. to adequately judge Madison’s talent, but from where I see it the show design and low morale are the main culprits. Let’s face it, there have been disaster shows in the past performed by many corps that somehow manage to fare somewhat well. With Madison it is a complicated situation and if you say it’s design, people will point out recruitment issues, say recruitment and it does back to staff, staff to management, and so on....

Here is something that should be should alarm bells off for everyone concerned about Madison.   They did not have enough folks AUDITION for guard to fill all of the spots this year. They had to beg former members back; not star performers, but any available body to fill a hole.  They had to offer folks "scholarships" in order to have the size guard they ended up with.  (Which results in reduced revenue, which is another problem).

This needs to be addressed ASAP.  Madison cannot make finals without a more competitive color guard.   In order to have a competitive guard, you need to have many more people try our than you have space for in your corps.   You need to have a staff that RECRUIT and RETAIN talented performers.

2 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Here is something that should be should alarm bells off for everyone concerned about Madison.   They did not have enough folks AUDITION for guard to fill all of the spots this year. They had to beg former members back; not star performers, but any available body to fill a hole.  They had to offer folks "scholarships" in order to have the size guard they ended up with.  (Which results in reduced revenue, which is another problem).

This needs to be addressed ASAP.  Madison cannot make finals without a more competitive color guard.   In order to have a competitive guard, you need to have many more people try our than you have space for in your corps.   You need to have a staff that RECRUIT and RETAIN talented performers.

If true, (maybe) they should open up the audition to xxxxxx?  No, can't say that, might open up another can of biscuits.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stu said:

You have actually answered your own question with the preceeding statement. What is going on with Madison is that they are not providing those things.

So why would you punish current members who feel as you do that want to audition elsewhere the next season? You are saying it is the corps fault, but it would be the members who suffer.

14 minutes ago, GetOFFmyDot said:

Again? Didn't Madison only have a guard of like 12 or 16 back in 2000 (the start of their descent below the Finals cut-line)?

9 hours ago, Stu said:

Aw shucks; here I am competing in the Little League World Series. I am hating they way the batting coach is treating me here at Peachtree, I am having a bad experience, my self esteem and feelings are getting hurt; so I will just transfer for my final season to the Honolulu team where I will be more appreciated and happy as player there. Ummmm.... Not going to be allowed to happen.

Actually, it may or may not happen. The parents can apply for a waiver. The LL admin in Williamsport makes the call. Of course, if the parents move to Honolulu there is no issue. The kid would automatically play for the Honolulu team.

12 minutes ago, MikeD said:

So why would you punish current members who feel as you do that want to audition elsewhere the next season? You are saying it is the corps fault, but it would be the members who suffer.

From my experiences reading Stu's posts, I've gotten the impression that he views situations through an authoritarian black and white lens. 

It is one thing to impose transfer restrictions on those who are receiving benefits from their respective sport/activity for free (such as NCAA athletes who receive free tuition, free professional trainers, free food, free housing, free facilities, etc) or professional athletes who are on paid contracts. But it is entirely different thing to impose transfer restrictions on drum corps members who are PAYING for these experiences over the course of the summer. Enforcing transfer restrictions would be a great way to lose members' interest in participating in DCI

• Thanks 1

Regionalize the activity and require corps membership from people within the corps region. 

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, PamahoNow said:

If true, (maybe) they should open up the audition to xxxxxx?  No, can't say that, might open up another can of biscuits.

If the reason Madison did not have enough young men for the guard  audition is because the corps is all male,  perhaps going coed is something to consider, but I don’t think that’s the issue. I have no problem with Madison and Cavies being all male. If they go coed, that’s fine too, but it has to be a strategic decision, not a band aid solution. 

8 minutes ago, FlamMan said:

Regionalize the activity and require corps membership from people within the corps region. 

I don't think big government style oversight is needed. 

Maybe it's time for Madison and Rosemont to open up to female membership. I think back in the day (pre-2008), when drum corps required more brut strength and athleticism, having an all male corps was an advantage. Now, that type of physicality is not required and you are losing out on a lot of talented female musicians.