San Bernardino, CA - Sunday, June 30, 2019

1 minute ago, gentle123 said:

The only captions that BD took from SCV were GE and Analysis (both visual and music). Does that just mean the judges simply "liked" BD's show more? And Vanguard still "outperformed" them?

No.  I means the GE and Analysis judges put BD up and the Brass/Percussion and Visual Performance and CG judges didn't.

Every caption can essentially be split into two parts: content and execution. 

24 minutes ago, desertrat68 said:

5 minutes ago, jjeffeory said:

Cavaliers have a bunch of hands in San Bernardino.  overheard people saying that they were their favorite, or asking their kids with her favorite was or who won blah blah blah.  I'm sure they'll take that

My husband and I were talking about The Cavalier's show this afternoon on the way home. It's so great to see them back in the west again. We had hoped it would happen when our son was with them. Anyway, just hearing the buzz about them this weekend just solidifies our opinion that the real benefit of the western swing won't be how they place this year, but will be the widening of the talent pool over the next few years they should get a heck of a lot more young men to audition from the west coast. 

Well, the Cavies drumline has a few peeps from Pulse Percussion

posted from the DrumScorps app

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bluesman said:

To those who have mentioned how SCV doesn't do enough drill.  I agree.  None of the corps do enough anymore. 

I hate the fact that so few corps do demanding drill anymore

THANK YOU

Congrats Blue Devils

Edited by jjeffeory

1 hour ago, Ghost said:

Opppps!

Hey its ok. I am a BD honk. I was just going off what i saw. Particularly the rifle disaster in the opener. Glad no one was hurt. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gentle123 said:

The only captions that BD took from SCV were GE and Analysis (both visual and music). Does that just mean the judges simply "liked" BD's show more? And Vanguard still "outperformed" them?

If that's the case, than BD outperformed SCV in Pasadena since BD took both visual and music, and SCV took GE. Goes both ways. 

• Thanks 2

I was at tonight's show, and I have to say I am surprised BD won.

In my opinion it was far from their best run. A ton of timing and execution issues. Even the start when the rifle tosses got caught in a wind gust caused a ton of drops.

But apart from guard issues, truly there were execution issues. In the end I could see this winning, but tonight? No.

Conversely I thought SCV really did execute. Design is a head scratcher, but the music of the Closer was brilliant. The sonic horn balance was truly breathtaking.

Cavies were great even with "two endings" (The crowd gave a standing O only to realize the show wasn't over, tgen gave a second O). Also very well executed, a ton of layers, and great guard (there's a cool trick that the guard does distributing flags. One guy stands on a barrel doing a back-handed toss to about five others, ending with a full guard spin sequence). Even the pit gets into the act with some cool double split stuff. 

Honestly on this night I thought both Cavies and SCV were better. But perhaps judges viewed BD's book in evety regard much higher in demand...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, adman said:

I was at tonight's show, and I have to say I am surprised BD won.

In my opinion it was far from their best run. A ton of timing and execution issues. Even the start when the rifle tosses got caught in a wind gust caused a ton of drops.

But apart from guard issues, truly there were execution issues. In the end I could see this winning, but tonight? No.

Conversely I thought SCV really did execute. Design is a head scratcher, but the music of the Closer was brilliant. The sonic horn balance was truly breathtaking.

Cavies were great even with "two endings" (The crowd gave a standing O only to realize the show wasn't over, tgen gave a second O). Also very well executed, a ton of layers, and great guard (there's a cool trick that the guard does distributing flags. One guy stands on a barrel doing a back-handed toss to about five others, ending with a full guard spin sequence). Even the pit gets into the act with some cool double split stuff. 

Honestly on this night I thought both Cavies and SCV were better. But perhaps judges viewed BD's book in evety regard much higher in demand...

I was there as well and this BD honk thought SCV took it tonight. While surprised, i am happy BD overcame the disaster opener. 

With the way the recaps read, it appears that the judges think that BD has significantly more room to grow than SCV does. And I would agree with them

• Like 4